From: Javier, Bay Adventures <javier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:54:02 -0500
Subject: IML: Check Guages and wonky guages on 68 Convertible

OK.  This morning after starting the convertible for my 1.8 mile commute to the office, the check gauges light did it?s normal on for a few seconds while warming up and the gauges (oil, temp, ammeter, gas) did their normal slow climb to the proper spots.

But when I made my first right turn, the check gauge light came on and the oil pressure gauge bottomed out (went all the way to the left). The engine is not leaking oil and the level is fine.  After 30 seconds or so, the gauge came back up to the normal range and the check gauges light went off.  When I made the first left turn, the check gauges light came back on but this time it was the temperature gauge that bottomed out (went all the way to the left).  What?s up with that?

What should I check (other than oil and coolant, I?ve done that and they are fine.) first?  My gas gauge (since replacing the float in the tank) has always read as just over half when the tank is full.  Hmmm.

Has anyone else had this problem with a 68?  I was going to wait until the summer (winter is convertible weather here) to take that dash apart, but maybe I should start this project now.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Javier
Proud Owner of 1968 IMP's of Omaha Convertible
Needs AM/FM radio
Former owner of
66 IMP's of Omaha Convertible
65 300 Convertible