Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 3:46 PM
Subject: IML: 1970 starting problems

Happy holidays everyone!
I believe I have the answer to this but I was wondering if someone can verify this for me. I started my Imperial last week after sitting for awhile. It started fine and did its usual crappy idle which is caused by the ancient carb base gasket that I never replaced after I rebuilt the Holley. So I decided to replace that and noticed that mice chewed-up my plug wires : ( So a few days later I replaced the wires and the gasket and it won't....start :( I replaced the wires one-by-one so as not to mess-up. But non-the-less I triple checked 'em. On the third checking, I busted out my 1972 Motor's Auto Repair Manual with the idiot proof plug wire diagram ( so help me God if it is the wires). So, I am left with the carb gasket and my theory is this: Since the base gasket leaked I had to compensate by running rich and now that I have proper amounts of air; it is way to rich and belches flames. It actually started for about two seconds and idled real high. But I keep getting flames out the carb every time I try to start her : (

Burpin' fire,
Keith