IML: mystery tubing

hello america

the after collecting our 57 imperial from the exhaust shop i noticed that there was a rubber tube/pipe hanging down underneath. it is about 3/8ths of an inch in diam and seems to have come from somewhere around the passenger side of the engine, the other end goes up towards the transmission but its difficult to see exactly where without a lift ,but its the loose end that i am more concerned about
anyone any idears about this pipe and what it could be

regards ken uk