From: "Christopher H" <imperial67@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:17 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Imperial rose and name use (was Airflow)

The word does indeed have Latin roots (imperium, meaning command), but
"Imperial Rome" is an English term, and there have been a number of empiric
governments since the Holy Roman Empire, some of which also used eagles as a
symbol. I always think of China for some reason myself, maybe because of the
Imperial Palace?

I also don't recall Chrysler using an eagle for Imperials until the 1950s or
so... It appeared in ads, but the brand was not a brand until 1955 (it was a
model of Chrysler), so it did not have its own logo prior to that. It simply
shared the logo with all other Chrysler models.

However, I was assuming Ken was asking who (he thought perhaps Walter P)
actually thought up the name for the car, not necessarily an etymology of
the word. And I've never read any history on that answer... Has anyone got
anything on this? I don't think they had focus groups then, nor computers to
invent new words like Lexus and Acura.  :)

Imperial is therefore unusual among luxury car marques in that its name is a
"common" word (and an adjective, no less, not even a noun like Jaguar!)
rather than the name of either the founder of its company or a
famous/historical figure (as with Cadillac, Lincoln, Packard, Duesenberg,
Mercedes-Benz, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, etc., etc.).

Imperially (try signing off with Cadillacly!),
Chris in LA