From: "Mark Martin" <1966.newport@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: Overheating Problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:23:19 -0700

Firestone, SNAP, and several other companies make coolent flush products. You'll need to get a new thermostat and gasket (of if your thermostat is new just get a new gasket) and a flush kit (less than $10 at any parts house). the flush kit has a t-fitting that goes inline in your heater core return line (i'd recomend buying a 3' piece of hose to use instead of cutting your stock one in half) The t-fitting is threaded to accept a garden hose and it also comes with a spigget that attatches to the top of your radiator which you can attach a hose to and run to a drain or bucket.

My directions are this, REMOVE THERMOSTAT (most overlooked part of this process) install t-fitting and spigget, get in your car and turn the heat on, attach hose and turn on water, let run for a few minutes, then start car (with water running) and run for a minute or 2. Turn off car, turn off water, drain water, replace thermostat, replace heater hose (you can leave that t-fitting in but it sure is tacky...they're usually bright yelloy) replace antifreeze, BE COOL. If all else fails stick lit a rag in the filler neck and push it off a cliff. Then, sell the video to NBC and buy a new car

Help,

My '67 keeps overheating. I've diagnosed the problem all summer and tried different solutions none have cured the problem entirely. I now beleve that there is too much rust and sediment in the block to allow for efficennt engine cooling.

My question to the group is... how do I flush the block and is there anything I can put in the coolant to loosen up the rust?

thanks

Eric