Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 8:55 PM
Subject: IML: The Smell of an Imperial

I just recently bought a '68 LeBaron and one of the first things I noticed about it was the smell. Every single '68 Imperial I've ever owned has had the same smell, more or less, and I'm wondering what it is. It's a combination of leather and something that smells a little bit like an old cologne. Impossible to put into words but very distinctive. The Plymouths my uncle sold in the 60's had a totally different smell, and the Pontiacs my stepfather sold did, too. (In fact, new Pontiacs still have a similar smell.)

I wish somebody could figure out what the chemical components of this smell are and reproduce it. Then we'd have "1968 Imperial in a Can."

Do other years have their own distinct smell, I wonder?

Mark M