Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 9:12 AM
Subject: IML: 1st thing - power steering leak. Can i use ATF to fill power steering fluid?

My ?68 is sitting in the office parking lot leaking power steering fluid?  (Well, that?s the 1st thing I can report on the condition!  To be expected.  This car has been sitting for many, many years.)

My business partner handed me a bottle of Automatic transmission fluid and told me that he?s always filled the power steering reservoir with this.  I am skeptical.

Can I really (and safely) use ATF in the power steering system?  It makes a bit of sense that the fluids (other than oil and coolant) would be interchangeable, but I?m not in the mood to damage my new purchase.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Javier Reynaldos

1968 Imps of Omaha convertible