IML: Gas float switch for my 55

A year ago I bought (for too much money) a float switch for my 55.  It worked great for a year then it failed (reads empty all the time).  I have been told that it probably is the gasoline additives for pollution control that have done in this float switch.  What say you experts and what do I buy that will work and last more than a year.

Don Dickinson
Prospect, KY

1955 Imperial Newport, Canyon Tan and Desert Sand
1967 Imperial Custom Convertible, Ivory and Burgundy