RE: IML: Fuel Siphoning, or not

Mikey,

I've had the problem with a 72 New Yorker, 440, 4160 Holley; a 66 Barracuda,
318, aftermarket intake and Edelbrock "AFB;" and on my wife's 67 Dart GT
with the smaller AFB.

In the real AFB there are plugs in the bottom of the bowls (I looked at them
during a rebuild), and they are said to leak (didn't know that when I
rebuilt it).  I believe that to be the problem with mine, but have not taken
time to try to repair it.  I did rebuild the carb, and it works wonderfully,
but loses fuel after a day or so.

I think both the other cars lost fuel due to heat "cooking it off" after
shutdown.  The new Edelbrock "AFB" on the Barracuda did not appear to leak
fuel underneath.  Maybe Edelbrock eliminated those plugs.  In both cases, a
thick fiber spacer eliminated or decreased the problem.  On the New Yorker,
the PO had used an aluminum spacer.  The heat transfer with aluminum is
high, and I didn't notice a difference with or without that spacer.

The trouble and solution are much more clear-cut on the Dart.  I'm not as
sure about the Holley.  I think it was heat related.

Michael, 68, on the road somewhere in the storm