IML: Happiness is a Warm Stereo

I am happy to report that the Multiplex Stereo has
been installed in my '68 Crown convertible with great
success.

The reception is fantastic, the sound quality is
beautiful with great seperation and clarity, and the
glow of that green "stereo" light in the dash is
handsome indeed.

Compared to the Multiplex stereo in my '73 Imperial,
I'd say that the '68 unit is superior, despite its
more complicated layout.

What remains to be done is to permenantly mount the
door speakers, and figure out the tie-off for the
missing fifth speaker in the backseat. Right now, I am
using all five speakers, seeing as how I've got the
back seat out of the car. The Multiplex seperator
needs to be bolted to something, too.

The most painful part of the installation was removing
the instrument cluster in order to locate the interior
end of the driverside speaker wire. The wire was
hidden behind the insulation right next to the
leftside A/C vent. I could have gotten away with
removing just the instrument bezel -- but I didn't
know at the time that the wire would be so far to the
left of the dash.

Life also would have been easier if I had remembered
to re-install the AutoTemp console before installing
the radio. Lining up and securing that AutoTemp panel
with the radio in the way is a pain!

Funny, know that the convertible has the fancy radio,
it seems to have a voice. It says its ready to go
somewhere and I ought to finsh that interior.

Dave Duricy
1968 Imperial Crown convertible
1973 Imperial LeBaron
1950 DeSoto Custom