IML: Glass cleaning

My Imperial has been standing out side for some time and the windows are filthy. It seems to be that even after I have washed it with soapy water and then used regular Windex there still seems to be an awful lot of ground in dirt on the windows. I scrub and scrub away but the windows never seem to get smooth. This in turn seems to make them more liable to attracting dust in the air and needing to be cleaned more frequently than I'd like. (I confess to being a bit compulsive about clean windows.)

I encountered this on an old company truck that was never washed. Where the wipers moved on the windshield was OK but the surrounding area was so bad you could hardly see through it and repeated washings at this point became pointless. Is the glass ruined or is there a good product or procedure to use other than good old fashioned elbow grease. I find after repeated attempts things get a bit better. Is there a good way to deal with this?

Hugh and poor old Mrs. Blueberry.