RE: IML: Non-Nuclear Meltdowned Modules (81-83 EFI cars)

RE: IML: Non-Nuclear Meltdowned Modules (81-83 EFI cars)

The potting compound on these modules was another very poor choice, as it
flows at high temperature.  Modules of later manufacture have a better
potting compound which stays in the foam state.   However, the running goop
does no harm, so long as it doesn't interfere mechanically with the throttle
valve operation, and even then it is fairly easy to get out of there.

There is no effect on the boards of having the stuff run off, there is still
enough residual to keep the components from vibrating; I have used such
modules without regard to the state of the potting compound, without any
problems showing up. I don't think moisture resistance was a factor
(although I admit I live in the Desert, so perhaps there is a condensation
problem in other locations - I rather doubt it though).

I didn't respond to your question about the timing having shifted far enough
to prevent a hot restart - but as you suspected, I don't think there is any
reasonable scenario that would produce that amount of shift.

With your detailed testing, you have now eliminated all possible causes.
Therefore, either what you say is happening isn't happening (you're having
hallucinations), or else somehow you've missed something.  I've been in that
state many times, and my method is to start over with the most likely causes
in mind.

For your symptom (and I think you've tried all of these, but humor me and
let's double check), I'd do the following:

Next time it won't restart, loosen the wingnut in the center of the air
cleaner lid and decant 2 ounces of fresh, nicely scented and colored
gasoline into the depression (a raised pinky during this operation has been
shown to set the right mood, this is an IMPERIAL, after all!).  Let it run
down the screw threads into the throttle body, then quickly retighten the
wing nut, trot around to the driver's seat with alacrity, and try to restart
the car now - don't touch the accelerator, just twist the key.

If it starts, we'll start looking for cardiac insufficiency in the fuel
system.  If it doesn't, we'll need to put a scope on the (-) terminal of the
coil and watch the square wave.  If the primary drive looks normal, then I
question the condition of the engine - specifically, have you done a
compression check?  How many miles on this puppy?

Let me know what you find out, please.

Dick Benjamin