Re: IML: Autotemp II needed

--- Jøran "slayer" Vordal <slayerking88@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> the heat and pressure causes the "black box" to
> crack. I've tried special glue, but it didn't work
> very long before it cracked again. I have now bought
> a used one about a year ago, but it to starting to
> leak now. I'm think i'm going for the new one in
> aluminium, but I don't know where to find them.
> Maybe somone on the list may help me with that?

Buying a used AutoTemp II Servo is a waste of time and
money.  Sorry to be so blunt, but that's just the way
it is.

The servo unit has the misfortune to live right next
to the passenger side exhaust manifold.  Extreme heat
and plastic don't work well together.  Many of these
units cracked in less than a year when the cars were
new.  There is no fix for a cracked servo--one might
be able to seal up the crack on the outside, but there
will still be coolant leaking into the electrical
components on the inside.  Liquid coolant and the
electrical/vacuum innards of the servo unit don't work
well together either.

Information about the aluminum bodied replacement
servo unit (which is a *permanent* fix) is available
on our club's website!  For each of the three relevant
years (1971, 1972, and 1973), it's listed under the
"Repair Literature" section.  For example, have a look
at 1971 at
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1971/index.htm

Yep, it's expensive!  But it works!  And, really, it's
not all the expensive comparatively . . . the last
time I bought an NOS power servo unit from Chrysler
was in 1987 (before I knew about this replacement),
and it cost just over $400 then.

And yes, that NOS unit cracked in less than two years.

But once you throw the money at the aluminum
replacement, you can comfortably forget about any
further worries with it.

Good luck!

Elijah

http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperial71/