Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Original Brakes

As I mentioned before, this is one of those debates that can run an run and run.  There is no correct answer, just a lot of opinions, theories and positions.  I kept my Imperial's all around drums but installed a newer dual pot M/C that fit perfectly on the existing bolts and the brake pedal rods.  The design is superior to the original single pot for a number of reasons.  It also works better in every respect.  To the best of my knowledge, mine is the only operating 58 Imperial in Texas.  Who else but me would know it isn't original and who else might care except someone who was buying it and it ain't for sale.  The 'new' M/C is rectangular as opposed to round, easier to access, less prone to leaking and less prone to failure.  The approbation of my peers on this list is important but doesn't override common sense.

I also desperately need to upgrade from the old oil filter canister to a spin on type.  The canister is simply worn out.  It cannot be repaired and any replacement part will be as bad as what I have.  Almost fifty years has gone by since the original was built and it was a bad design to begin with.  Not to upgrade would be the foolish course of action.  This is an almost invisible switch.  The spin on is designed to resemble the original.  It may be heresy but our cars are not perfect.  All of them have flaws and Achilles heels.   Every car ever built suffers the same fate.

Any position is open to debate and criticism.  That I desire to keep my car and myself out of more accidents that are caused by poor performance of original style equipment is of importance here.  I would rather be alive and my Imperial intact than follow a dogmatic approach that has already failed badly.

Hugh