Re: IML: matching numbers

The term "matching numbers" refers to ensuring the engine and transmission
are the same units as installed at the factory.  For Chrysler products,
though, "matching numbers" cannot be done prior to 1968, as Chrysler did not
start stamping the VIN on the engine and transmission until sometime during
1968.

The best that can be done is to check the engine number and transmission
numbers (1960's cars) to see that the units were built within a reasonable
time prior to to car's build date.

For pre-1960 body-and-frame units, both the engine number and the VIN are
stamped on the chassis frame.  I believe one number is stamped on the
chassis frame, top side, just behind the front axle, while the VIN is
stamped on the frame just ahead of the front hanger for the rear springs.
The engine number on the hemi should be top of the engine block under the
water outlet elbow.

Or, if you have $45 to spare, order the build record from DaimlerChrysler.
>From what I have seen, the pre-1960 build records have the engine number
entered on the card.   The engine number for your 1953 Imperial does include
the date of assembly, and is just the model number followed by a sequential
build number.

Bill
Vancouver, BC