Re: IML: Airflow knock-off?

--- Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Despite the Airflow almost dragging the company
> under > (it was a sales disaster)

Shame on the person who told you this.

At no time did the Airflow model jeopardize the health
of Chrysler Corporation. While sales of the DeSoto,
Chrysler, and Imperial Airflows were disappointing,
Chrysler Corporation still made a profit for 1934, the
first year of the Airflow. Sales for the entire
corporation also increased.

The popularity of the Plymouth and Dodge model lines,
the quick introduction of the DeSoto and Chrysler
Airstream for 1935, and Chrysler Corporation's greater
production efficiency ensured that Chrysler
Corporation endured the setback of 1934.

The vitality of the corporation was even noted by
"Fortune" magazine in 1935, when detractors were still
vigorously ridiculing the Airflow.

As for Airflow imitators, Volvo, Toyota, Renault and
Peugeot all introduced unmistakable Airflow styling
following Chrysler's lead. I believe a case could be
made that the Volkswagen Beetle was similarly
influenced.

Of course, the Airflow was more than a styling
exercise, it was a comfort and performance revolution
that resounds to this day. By embracing the truth of
the road, the Airflow enlarged the dream of driving
for millions.

The Airflow was a beautiful car, and I dare say that
the philosophy behind it is the reason we here drive
Imperials while the rest of world rides along in
off-brands.

Dave Duricy