IML: Black smoke out exhaust

My '67 Convertible just developed a strange problem.  It has run fine, absolutely wonderful, for days.  I drove it to work this morning and it performed perfectly.  I had to run an errand at lunch and went out to start the car.  It started fine, but the exhaust sounded ever so slightly "muffled".  Idle was fine, so I put it in gear and went on my way.  Acceleraton didn't feel right, it was as if I was pulling a trailer.  I stopped at a stop sign and then pressed the gas to go and a big plume of black smoke came out of the tail pile.  I let off the gas and noticed that a slight trail of back smoke continued.  The further on the pedal that I pressed down, the more smoke I got.. and now the performance went downhill fast.  I had to press the pedal down twice as far as usual, resulting in black smoke just to drive 35 mph.  I had only driven 2 miles from work and now could barely top 25 mph with the pedal nearly to the floor... black smoke just gushing out the back end.  I pulled over and put the car in park.  Black smoke dropped to almost nothing and I peaked under the hood.  The engine was idling perfectly.  Smooth and no misses whatsoever.  I blipped the throttle cable and the engine revved smoothly, but more black smoke out the tailpipe.

So, the engine seems to be running fine, but black smoke gets worse as I accellerate. Car seems to have no power while in drive.  Engine revs and transmission does not slip.  I backed the car up into a parking spot and scratched my head a bit.  Walked around to the back end of the car and the exhaust does sound a bit muffled still.  It also left a black patch on the grass just while idling.  I rubbed the grass between my fingers and it was sooty, no real fuel smell. No grey smoke, no steam, so probably not rings or a head gasket.  What on earth is going on here?  My guess was a clogged exhaust, but then it probably would have blown that sucker right off the car when I revved it a couple of times, now wouldn't it?  Could it be a pvc valve?  Does the '67 440  have a pvc valve?  HELP! Thanks.