The Lowest Cost Way to own a C or Y body. Was Re: IML: Another Thread.

The Lowest Cost Way to own a C or Y body. Was Re: IML: Another Thread.

I had the same thoughts David did on this car.  Some cars are parts cars, be
they Imperials or Rolls Royces.  I have a 1975 45,000 mile sun roof Imperial
coupe for which I paid $425 and towed from just below Memphis to Atlanta.
Car had some rust, but had been sitting with a shot out windshield and
passenger side window for 6 years.  The interior was understandably trash.
I am using the parts on other NYB's and Imperials.  It was just not worth
the investment to restore.  The parts are being used to complete cars all
over the world.  The engine is going into an older C body that is almost
perfect to bring it back from the grave.

The key to successful, economic Y and C body ownership is to buy them in the
best condition you can, get Murray Park's contact information for parts, and
go for it.  If you can get a parts car, consider yourself lucky, no,
blessed. Life will be good.

For example.  I have just finished fixing all the little stuff that was
wrong on a rust free Southern 1973 NYB 4 door hardtop that sat for a number
of years in a garage with a concrete floor.  I have driven the car about
1,700 miles and it still has less than 28,000 miles on it.  I would drive it
anywhere there are roads.  It is perfect: cold air, great tires and brakes,
new shocks, 440 engine starts in a second or two -- cold or hot, upholstery
looks like it has never been sat on, and vinyl roof and paint are not quite
perfect, but get compliments.  Spare has never been on the ground.  I bought
this car for a daily driver, but my 5' 1", 95 lb. wife cannot see well out
of it and almost hit a dog she did not see.  Even though she would rarely
drive it, end of this car for the Blair family.  I have about $3,500 in the
car and will sell it for $4,000 before it goes on eBAy next week.  This
includes dealer parts catalog, shop manuals, California Car Cover custom
fitted car cover, and a new pair of extra rotors (not currently needed for
the car).

Where would you be with the mentioned Newport for $4,000?  Probably not in a
safe car that looks presentable.

My brother has made two comments about my C and Y bodies:

1.  "You could pick up any woman you want in those cars, 75 or older."
2.  "Your cars are like fat girls.  They are fun to ride, but you don't want
your friends to see you doing it."

Let's hope that attitude prevails so arthritic people on Social Security
like me can continue to enjoy our truly great cars.

Henry

Henry K. Blair, Jr.
Roswell, Georgia
henryblairjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx