RE: IML: converted 1960, chopped J-body, etc

RE: IML: converted 1960, chopped J-body, etc

No, but I think it needs an Ed Roth/Darryl Starbird style bubble top, or
possibly dual bubble tops for driver and passenger.

As for the other thread on chopping the top off a J-body Imperial, the
Mirada and Cordobas had a convertible conversion available when new.  I've
only ever seen one, and that's been more than 12 years ago.  It was a
Cordoba.  From what I remember, the company that did the conversion was in
Florida.

It would be difficult to find a donor vehicle, but one of those my be a good
donor for a top mechanism.  I don't know, but they may have offered the
conversion on the Imperial at the time as well.

Stretching the Imperial content boundary here a little, I had an '83 Mirada
at one point.  We got it as a set of cheap wheels for my sister, then when
she was done with it, I drove it a round a bit.  It needed taillight lenses
to pass inspection, but we couldn't find any, so the tail section from a
same vintage Cordoba went on.  The nose wasn't in the best shape, and I had
considered finding a J-body Imperial nose to bolt on.  The car caused too
many other problems, so that never happened.

What was my point?  I agree that the J-body Imperial might look odd without
a roof, bit the more square Mirada/Cordoba did not.  It might make for a
cleaner looking car to take an Imperial parts car and transfer the front end
and electronic dash to a convertible Cordoba and make a bit of a
Frankenstein monster, but one that looked possible, and proportioned well.

Rob McCall
'67 LeBaron, square top, original wheelbase.