Re: IML: b and rb oil pump priming

The B and RB mopar engines use a separate drive shaft that is gear driven by the camshaft to run the oil pump and the distributor. When you pull the distributor and look down the mounting hole you see the top of the intermediate shaft with the gear built into it and the cam gear it runs with.

The shaft is a hex at the bottom end, 3/8 hex i recall but i cant swear to it, and it meshes with the oil pump. The top of the shaft has the tang that the distributor meshes with. The gear that meshes with the cam is part of this shaft.

As far as priming one of these engines, you can take the time and energy to modify an old intermediate shaft and spin that with a drill, or you can just buy primer shafts thru tool dealers. I have a four piece set that will prime any mopar or even the lesser brands.

If you get one of these shafts, simply remove the distributor and intermediate gear, chuck the shaft into a reversible drill and mesh the shaft with the oil pump. You need a reversible drill because big block mopars run the dist and oil pump counterclockwise. Id recommend a half inch drill as well, youd be surprised how much resistance it can take to pump that oil.

Personally, I like to crank the engine a bit with the plugs removed after ive gotten pressure from using the primer, that way you know without a doubt that every moving part was subjected to oil flow with the least amount of load on them.

Btw, when done, Mopar recommends indexing the intermediate shaft to the cam in such a way that the distributor drive slot runs fore and aft with the engine centerline. Sometimes it takes a bit of bumping the oil pump around with the priming shaft to get that position but its not difficult. I recommend checking its orientation when you remove the distributor and making a notation of it as well as doing the same with the distributor when you remove it or you may be searching the iml archives for the information on finding number one cylinder and how to time your engine. A few moments spent with a paint marker or a pencil and paper can save hours of frustration later.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe