Re: IML: 69 starter motor/Update

I tried again today & it started immediately, although the starter was protesting very loudly. I shut it off & tried again. It restarted, but a hand crank probably would have turned faster. I ordered a new starter from Checker & they will have it Friday.
John
If you crank and it seems slow and the engine is cold,
you can reach down and tap the body of the starter
motor with your finger.  The last car I got was
cranking so slowly that it wasn't catching, but wanted
to.  the starter motor was so hot I burned my finger,
so I gave up on it.

It was drawing so much current that it was heating
like crazy.

--- jsadowski <jsadowski@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now that the emissions testing for collector cars
> has been dropped here, I
> decided to do the carburater swap on my 69 so I can
> register it. It took me
> all of 2 hours to do the whole thing & when the car
> started up, it ran
> beautifully & probably smoother then it ever did the
> whole 10 or so years
> I've had it. I even had the A/C on & let the car run
> for about 45 minutes &
> moved it forward & back a few times.
>
>       After I shut it off, it refuses to restart
> now. The tone of the
> starter is a little strange sounding & barely turns
> the engine, even with
> the good battery from my 60 in it.  I havn't had the
> chance to try again
> after the car fully cools down. I'm wondering if the
> erratic tone of the
> starter means its bad or do you think something else
> is wrong here?

> response will be
> attachments) for the
> Administrators should be sent to