RE: IML: the hot starting problem,,,,,,again!!!!

i have 4 carbureted cars and i have not had to resort to installing an electric pump. they always start with a couple pumps of the throttle.

From: "mail.lig.bellsouth.net" <jagster911@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Gosh: If I have to take another minute to go through this I will just scream! Carbureted cars have fuel in the bowls all the time, except when you turn your car off and the fuel literally boils out of the carburetor. Then, a short while later, you try to start your car. You have spark, but you don't have fuel. Crank, crank, crank! Your poor starter gets hot, dies prematurely, and you face the old starter replacement or rebuild trauma again! Guys, the British and Europeans got around this a long, long time ago. It is called an electric fuel pump. Low pressure ones, like you need on your car are available at your local parts store for around 40 dollars, they are the right pressure, take two wires to connect and can be placed anywhere in the fuel line by a trained monkey. Preferably, you want to locate it as close to the tank as possible. Most pumps like to push, rather than pull. Ok, that accomplished, you merely turn the ignition key, listen for the faint noise of the pump, filling your carb with gas, and start the car. Yes, Virginia, the stock pump on the engine remains in line, no changes anyone can see. Again, the knowledge base is enhanced. No one should be offended by this little scrap of information.