RE: IML: 1961 Parking Brake/Adjustment

There should be an inspection cover to remove, then the adjustment screw is visible/accessible. On my car, the adjustment screw was right where it belonged, but it would not move. Also, due to its position, it isn't possible to put any real pressure on it. In my case, the entire thing had to come apart for cleaning, but now it works great.

There is a cable adjustment, but the shop manual says that the cable adjustment should not be changed to take up slack when/if the shoes wear down.

Since the car should never be moved with the parking brake on, there is little reason for the shoes to wear out, unless someone has driven the car with the brake on. This brake doesn't work well as an emergency brake either, although it will stop the car in an emergency (as long as the u-joints will hold anyway).

While my car was in the shop a few years back, the idiots didn't release the brake before moving it around the shop. They never actually drove the car on the street, but what they did caused the brake not to hold.

It helps if the red flasher is working to warn (whoever) that they should do something before trying to drive. The best solution I have found is to not let anyone drive my cars EVER.

Paul W.