RE: IML: leather seat reconditioning?

my 59 imperial is a crown 4 dr ht, with the 15'' wheels . so I believe it would have been built towards the end of the 59 year production, and may have used 60 model color options , but this is only a guess, because on the iml site in the 60 model paint chips I see a few colors that closely match my car.

I'm not sure what the color is on my car as most of it is faded and has surface rust , but in the door jambs and under the trunk lid the paint looks original, it could be aqua mist , Normandy blue or maybe turquoise gray metallic. the paint that is under the truck lid and door jambs have a metallic paint , but I cant tell what color it is,

the body tag is in very poor shape and I cant make anything out on it, any numbers or letters look the same , I can only make out the top left and a few on the second row just below the top , it reads as follows, if anyone can get any info from them, let me know.
>   A     9416   WE17105518
     614   B  515

the rest I cant make out .

my dash is covered in black and the front and rear seats as well are black carpet, my door panels have the light blueish or aqua vinyl and below that is black .  I will ask my wife if she remembers where " I put my camera" it may have a more pictures of my imperial , I then will be able to post them and you can look see if you can tell what the color is.

last month my Compaq  kicked the bucket and I lost all the pictures and info that I was building up from the iml web site, as with more pictures of my 59 and a few other imperials that I have found . now I have a dell, and I'm just getting into it, my old system was running windows 98, this dell is running win xp. and its totally different, but if I can I will take some new picks of my 59 and post them soon,

thanks for all the leather information that everyone has giving, and thanks for bringing to my attention that the seats may not be original.

did the 58, 59, and 60 imperials use the same interiors and colors?
or are they year specific as for as style and colors?

Neal Herman <chrycordoba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hate to tell you this, but if your '59 Imperial has black upholstery at all, it's not original.  I don't remember whether you have a Crown or a Custom.  Leather was available in the Crown series, but only in a light-to-medium blue, tan, red and white.  Is your car Aqua Mist, like mine?  If so, the only all-leather interior color with that paint was white.  Even the LeBarons only came in broadcloth/leather in blue, green, tan/brown, light grey leather/dark grey broadcloth, and rose leather/red broadcloth; in addition to those colors in all-broadcloth.  I have the complete dealer paint chip & upholstery sample binder, and there's no black.

The dash is vinyl, not leather.  The door panels are also vinyl.  A clue to your original upholstery would be what is on the middle part of the door panel, below the armrest but above the strip of carpet at the bottom.  What is there should be what was once on the seat inserts.

On another note, I returned a week ago from the Anniston show in Miss Dorothy, my '66 Imperial.  She did quite well, except for a fan clutch that froze up on I-85 in South Carolina.  That was an easily obtained part once I got to Atlanta (thanks, Chris H. for the diagnosis!) and cruised the rest of the trip with no problems.  She did like her high-test Ethyl, though.  I averaged a shade under 12mpg on the highway.  But that was at my average cruising speed of 75-80mph.  With a car as large and solid as she is, the speed just creeps up on you without you being aware of it.  Ratchet it back down to 65, and you might as well be in reverse!

Neal Herman
1959 Imperial Crown 4-door Southampton (Aqua Mist, Silvercrest Landau roof, "Balmoral" cloth & leather interior) "Aquitania"
1966 Imperial Crown 4-door hardtop (Haze Green, Ivory vinyl roof, pearlescent white leather interior) "Miss Dorothy"
et al.

Do you Yahoo!?