RE: IML: 80-83 imperial question.

Depending on how you plan to drive the car, the 727, and possibly the 360
may be overkill.  However, I've done that for my Barracuda and will be doing
the same for my wife's Challenger.

The poor man's way of mounting the 360 to the 318 mount (I think it's the
driver's side that the ears are spaced differently), use a stack of flat
washers and a pair of longer grade 8 bolts.  You could also go down to your
favorite parts store and order a mount for a 360 Volare/Aspen.

The '80-83 share the same chassis as a Volare/Aspen (F-body),
Diplomat/82?-up Gran Fury (M-body) and the last Cordoba and the only Mirada
(J-body).  I think the last use of the 360 in a passenger car was '80.  I
don't think the fuel injection system will work with the 360, unless it's a
completely mild 360.  I think I would try a Thermoquad.

The exhaust manifolds were the same by that time, so if you are not planning
to go crazy with the 360, they will do fine.  After that many miles, you may
want to take a look at your cats.  They may be plugged up.  Depending on
where you live, their use may or may not be needed at this time, or if they
are needed you may be able to use a later, more efficient, single
aftermarket replacement.

If you go to the 727, the pinch weld in the trans tunnel may need to be
flattened out.  It may just depend on the individual car.  You will need to
shorten your drive shaft.  While you are at it, check the rear.  I don't
know if 8 1/4's were standard in the J-body Imperials, but if they were not,
consider going up to at least the 8 1/4 with a 360/727 combo.

A fresh rebuild of your 318 might really surprise you. If it's been around
the block a few times, it might just be tired.  A fresh 318 is a good motor.

If you live in a non-emissions area, or have an exemption of some sort
(collector plates, etc.) you could always drop in a 440.  They will fit.  A
440 with a mid 70's single snorkel air filter housing, and an Imperial pie
pan would have a few people guessing when you open the hood.

Rob McCall
'67 LeBaron