Re: IML: Alternator question

Thanks Robert. That's what I figured-that was at idle. The alternator is a dual field from a 1974 318 without a/c. I attached the batt wire to batt and made jumpers for the two field wires. I don't know which one goes on which field terminal, but my understanding is that it shouldn't matter. There was on ground terminal on the '74 alt, so I hooked that wire up to the case. I thought the problem would be that it didn't charge enough, not too much. Could the pulley size be an issue? I have to check, but I'm pretty sure they were the same size. I'll do some more troubleshooting on Saturday in the daylight.

Rob

From: "rob van der Es" <r.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: Alternator question
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:38:09 +0100 (CET)

Well Rob,

In my opinion 15.3-15.7 is way too much! Allthough you don't have an efi
to worry about you might have an electronic ignition system that don't
like that high voltage. Normal voltage should be approx. 14.4 V when
engine is running and with DVM across the battery terminals.

My first shot would be to check the internal voltage regulator in the
alternator, maybe you can take the regulator from your previous alternator
(that is if it fits ofcourse) and see what happens.

Good luck,

Robert