IML: rear weights on 65''s

Ok-here's another question-

I pulled my 65 convert out of its prison today for the first time in eight years. Crawled around under it to see what the" termites "had done to it and saw those heavy steel weights bolted at the rear of the car under the trunk. I remember my 66 had these also-and rust had caused one to partially come loose, hanging by one bolt. I removed it.

Did just the convertibles have these weights? Or also the coupes? They seem like a poor solution to a weight or balance problem-or were they intended for some other reason? I'm guessing each of these things weighs thirty pounds or so-sure doesn't help the gas mileage or the longevity of the rear tires- Any thoughts on why Ma Mopar found it necessary to install them? Kind of like carrying a couple of cement blocks around in your trunk in the winter for traction (up North, y'all)
                                                                                           Ted