Hoffman
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:45 PM
To: IML (main)
Subject: Re: IML: Imperials rear defrost vs. the "Competition" in '71

Surprisingly not...

I did a little digging through the brochures and Data Guides and it seems
the electric grid type of defroster was new to Imperial for 1975 as well
(not the 1976 NYB as my quickly-done previous survey had revealed). Still,
it was six years after the competition.

If your Dart is a Dart Sport, the only way to go would have been a grid
type, since they offered a folding rear seat in that model which would have
left no "hat shelf" to attach a blower-type unit. And with the fullsize
cars, by the fuselage era the rear heater and defroster seemed to be
combined into one option, according to the Data Guides. This approache might
have allowed them to drag their feet on adding the electric type, which
required a 100-amp alternator. Anyone have a later fuselage model with rear
defogger (blower) but not the rear-seat heater?

Chris in LA