IML: Imperials rear defrost vs. the "Competition" in '71

IML: Imperials rear defrost vs. the "Competition" in '71

For many years Imperial offered the rear air blower for the package shelf,
obviously well into the '70's the same set up must have been available.

I had a '71 Toyota Celica, the first year Toyota had completely restyled all
their cars to appeal to American buyers, using designers from the U.S.,
California actually, I'm told to do the new '71's.  '71 is when Toyota
started taking off, and soon after passed VW as the #1 import, along with
the slew of other Japanese makes in the '70's.

My point is, my '71 Celica, I purchased from the original owner in '90, and
was in great shape, dark blue, ST model, white interior, factory AC, AND
factory rear defroster.  The switch was on the lower dash, big, red clear
lens with "Rear Defrost" printed on the lens.  You pulled the switch to
activate it, and it lit up red, and stayed on till you turned it off.  Very
early type, or early version of the same system used today, wires across the
rear window.  In '71 is was a material that was applied, or "painted" on
like pin-stripping.  Today's version, of course, is actually imbedded in the
glass, and are wires (I assume), but in '71 this option was available from
the lowly Toyota brand, and even when I owned it, it worked flawlessly.
Well, one of the lines did not work after one day when I cleaned the window
with Windex.  As this was applied material, I was saddened by the one line
quitting, and learned I must have broken even a very small piece off,
breaking the connection from side to side.  It would have been sort of
expensive to fix, and I was just about to trade it in anyway on my '87
LeBaron Coupe.

Anyway, I think that is kind of interesting.  By the early '70's Detroit was
well on it's way to full recline position in it's Lazy-Boy, resting on it's
laurels, assuming it would never be really challenged for the U.S. auto
market attitude.  In comes a Toyota with a major improvement to the rear
defrost issue, head and shoulders above the blower system held over from
the, what, 50's in at least Chrysler products?

I still prefer my Imperial, make no mistake about it, but I also own a
convertible, so I not only wish I had a glass rear window (my plastic one is
still quite clear), but a glass window with a defroster built in like
today's verts have.

Looks like it's clearing up outside.  May be time to take Doris out with the
top down and heat full blast!

Have a great weekend all,

Bill Ulman
Seattle, WA