Re: IML: Mystery short in a 65 Imp..

I doubt its a short, its a power supply problem or may be a bad ground.  Look at
the wires that supply power to the ignition switch under the dash (look for an
about to fall of wire).  Also, check the circuits that supply power to the
ignition switch (you will need the wiring diagram for that).  In my 68's, twice
the ignition switch wiring got tired, and humidity makes the about to brake
connection weaker.  Also, when I first got my Lebaron, one of the wiring joints
was loose in the fire wall.  This is simply a little 10-32 thread or smaller
with a litle nut on the end that holds a bunch of wires together.  The car
would do a bunch of weird things like what you describe, and when you jingled
the wires all was good, for a while.  I thought the problem was around two
large connections in  the firewall, but the problem was that joint close by.

Until you find the problem, have with you a little electrical piece of wire to
power the coil so you can get home (install the wire from the battery positive
or the starter relay hot wire to the "+" of the coil, then short the starter
relay with a screw driver or anything metallic and the engine will start, your
signals may be innoperable, but your head lights and tail lights will work).

D^2

Quoting ERICINLANDPARK@xxxxxxx: