IML: main bearings, oil pressure gauge

I just replaced the mains and rod bearings in my 72(100,000 miles) a few weeks ago. I did it with engine in car. Ran the car up on ramps, unbolted the steering gear and dropped it down, pulled the two bolts for the motor mounts and jacked the engine up a few inches(hood open). Pulled the pan and oil pickup and went to work. Not hard at all but does consume some time. Crank was in great condition, bearings were worn but not real bad. Front main was a pain to get at but otherwise all went well. Installed a windage tray while I was there. I then installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge. This taps into the top rear of the block and I pulled the sender for the idiot light and screwed the adaptor for the oil pressure gauge in its place. Pain to get at. I had to remove air cleaner and using a few well placed rags to shield my knees I pretty much laid across the engine from the front so I could see what I was doing. But now I know what my oil pressure actually is instead of guessing what that factory gauge is telling me.All this came about because my oil pressure relief valve stuck open on me at start up a couple of times.Rather be safe than sorry so replaced pump and bearings. Next is the cam and timing chain.Looking at that timing chain(slack) from the crankcase while doing the bearings made me shudder.

Robin Giesbrecht
72 Imperial