Re: IML: Old cars and TV shows

I agree, it seems that in the current car culture, there are four kinds of old cars:

  • Low riders
  • Street / hot rods
  • Muscle cars (but only 1965-71 Fords and Chevys - unless it's a Hemi B body. Chrysler 300's are just a foot note.)
  • And anything from 1940-1957 that is specifically a Ford or a Chevy. Kaiser? Fraser? Studebaker? Nash? Packard? Who are they! At least some Chryslers and DeSotos get a little 2 second slot every once in a blue moon.
  • I do not include trucks because that's a whole topic on to itself.

And as you said, this is the exposure that future enthusiasts get bombarded with all the time. I keep thinking of the following slogan - "If it's trite, give it hype".

Scale model and toy manufacturers fall off the same cliff. So once again, in the minds of youngsters getting interested in the hobby, their only exposure to the classics is the same stuff they see in triplicate at the local show or cruise in. I can rattle off at least 25 different manufacturers of toys and models that make some version of a 57 Chevy or a 69 Camaro. But if you want a collection with some substance, then you have to go two paths: Collecting whatever was made in the year of your car of interest, or buying a custom model. Either path is pretty pricey.

Now someone mentioned the car restoration program on the DIY network. I caught the first one of a new series last week by surprise. There is a fellow who will document the restoration of his 1939 Packard. Now that's some worthwhile information.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com