Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 1:37 PM
Subject: IML: '73 LeBaron Spark Knock at Part Throttle

Hello, list,

I seem to recall some discussion recently on the list about 440s and spark knock (pinging) at part throttle. I noticed this week that my '73 Lebaron seems to be exhibiting just that symptom, but only when there are more than two people in the car. There are some acceleration issues that should be cleared up with some vacuum line replacements this weekend when my son and I put a new power brake booster on the car, but the pinging at part throttle (not WOT) worries me. For those willing to attempt long-distance diagnosis, the motor has less than 50,000 miles and came from the factory with the HP cam. I have replaced the ThermoQuad with an Edelbrock Performer 1406 (wow! what a difference!) Did the discussion I seem to be remembering center around deteriorated motor mounts and the #8 spark plug grounding against the subframe under certain acceleration conditions?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

On another topic: I may have the chance to buy a '76 NYB four door hardtop (the year of my high school graduation!) I know very little about the car except that it looks pretty good and supposedly has been sitting because of a bad fuel pump. Anything I should look for/look out for on this car? I'd like to have it, but I'm not looking for a major project right now (actually I am, but it will probably be a '72 Dart Demon my son thinks he can't live without. Well, at least it's a Mopar . . .)

Thanks to all!

Jay

Jay King
Meridian, Mississippi