RE: IML: Exhaust preferences

--- "Woolf,Richard T(Contractor)"
<richard.woolf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> might want to shop around, but make sure they do
> good work.

I'd say you absolutely MUST shop around!  In fact, I
would make sure that they put the car up on a rack and
actually LOOKED at it before giving you an estimate.
A good shop will get under the car with you and show
you exactly how they're going to do the job before
giving you an estimate.  If they don't want to do
this, keep shopping.

I paid right at $225 for the dual exhaust system on my
'71 Imperial -- this included duals from the manifolds
back, with aluminized pipe, and quality stock
mufflers.

The only caveat to putting duals on a '73 will be that
the gas tank is offset toward the driver's side of the
car, so that the single exhaust and resonator can fit
up between the gas tank and frame rail at the rear.
Once you go to duals, it's almost impossible to find a
convenient place on the driver's side to fit the
resonator.  The duals will be louder without
resonators, but good quality mufflers will keep things
quiet without sacrificing any of the performance
gained from the duals.

Also be sure to have a crossover pipe welded in -- an
H-pipe is good, and an X-pipe is even better.  This
DOES make a difference, especially in low-end torque.

Elijah

=====
http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperial71/
http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperial71/bookshelf.htm