RE: IML: Help!!!! on Wheels Please

Mark,

I'm sure the others will correct me here, but I think the wheel bolt pattern
is actually 5"x5.  I know that's what my '67 is.  I measured it using a tool
I borrowed from my buddy at the speed shop.  There are other methods using a
tape measurer , but he had the tool, and I was already there for other
stuff.

I'm not sure I know which wheels you are looking for.  I took another look
at the Black Beauty pictures on the site, and if you are looking for the
ones pictured here, I think you may be out of luck:
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1966/BlackBeauty/TwoCarsBMBB.jpg

I think those wheels were one offs for the show.  They may have had a large
insert within another wheel, but I don't recall seeing those wheels on
anything else.

The other pictures on the site show a different wheel that appear to be the
more traditional "aluminum slot" style wheel.
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1966/BlackBeauty/bbnowfront.jpg

No aluminum slots are currently available, but American Racing is
re-releasing them this year.  You can get info on the American Racing
website.

The 5" bolt pattern was used on Ford & '84-up Dodge trucks.  There should be
plenty of wheels available.  The Imperial centering hub is larger than
either of those other applications.  If buying new wheels, check your
current wheel centering hub size first, then check with the manufacturer.
If going used, have that measurement handy, and make a tool to check the
bolt pattern.

You can do that using a couple bolts the same size as the wheel stud and a
piece of bar stock (Aluminum, iron, whatever), and one of your original
wheels as a template.  Cut the stock long enough to fit the back side of the
wheel, on the hub section.  It only has to be slightly longer than the
distance between two adjacent holes.  Holding the bar stock on the back of
the wheel, mark the lug holes on the bar from the front side of the wheel.
Use a Sharpie or something similar.  Drill the holes in the bar stock, pop a
couple bolts in place and use a pair of nuts to keep them from going
anywhere.  Test fit on your wheel.  If all is good, throw it in your pocket
when you are headed to the swap meet.

Mickey Thompson made a version of the aluminum slot but discontinued it last
year.  They were designed for truck use, so they were a good bit stronger
than the more pedestrian wheels.  When looking at new wheels, check the load
carrying capacity of that wheel too.  Don't want the new wheels buckling the
first time you take the car out for a spin.

If your bolt pattern is truly 5.5", I believe Chevy & GMC used that on some
trucks in the '70.  There are aftermarket wheels for them too.

Of all the wheel companies out there now, American Racing and Cragar are my
favorites.  I'm pretty sure I know which wheels I'm going with on my '67.
I'm going with a Cragar, but not the S/S.  I already have the S/S' on my
Barracuda, but they don't fit with the plan I have for the Imperial.  I'm
not going to announce what wheel until I actually buy them.  That will have
to wait until warmer weather.

Rob McCall
'67 Lebaron