Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 3:44 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Transmission woes on '90 Imp

Tim,

I also own a 90 Imperial with transmission woes, and I'll simply relay
to you everything I've heard.  I don't know what's fact or fiction,
because it all seems to have merit, and different shops that I talk to
have different theories as to exactly what's causing it, but they all
lead directly to a rebuild.

I know for a fact (i had a shop plug his tool into the diag port) that
my clutches are way out of spec tolerance.  On his tool, normal
tolerance was "70-90", and the readout of my clutches was in the
neighborhood of 160.  I've also heard that some of the solenoids could
be plugged, and it's possible that someone sometime put Dexron in it.

--This brings me to a brief aside, but I just want to make sure that
you did put Mopar 7176 (ATF+3) in when you flushed it, right?  I've
read horror stories about people that were told Dexron III was good
enough, and 10,000 miles after their rebuild the tranny went again.

I've also been told that my seals are probably shot, causing incorrect
pressures.  I just did a fluid flush/fill myself, and now when the car
is bone cold the transmission shifts into gear great in the morning.
After it's warmed up, if i let it sit for about 20 minutes it'll take
sometimes 15 seconds to get into gear.  This leads me to believe that
it's the seals, but I have no real technical knowledge about this
transmission, and after looking at exploded diagrams of the
million-billion parts inside, I think I might just best leave it to
the 'pros.' =)

Hope this helps,
-Jason Wulf