RE: IML: 1959 Upgrades and Mods

Title: Message

>I just wana ask is there a brake upgrade or conversion avalible for 59's >
>I wana drive my car, not just let it sit around the shop. but im not real
>fond of drum brakes. would like disk on the front . I do like to keep the
>car most orignal but as far as a safety . I plan on a few mods to the car.
>like all wiring and electrical. seat belts , and brakes. to name a few.
>after all ,my kids will be rideing with me. I know a 59 imperial is far more
>safer than a hond@ but wont stop as good . ALSO im thinking about installing
>univers fuel injection on the 413 .and electronic ignition . not decided
>just yet. but im thinking that fuel injection would improve fuel
>milage...............any thoughts would be aprecieated. thanks.

Our Member Brad Hogg installed the Projection system on one of his cars.  You can read about his experience at  http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Fuel/Projection/index.htm
I'm sure the technology has probably changed in the five years since he did this but there is still a lot of good info there regarding fuel injection.

Seatbelts are pretty easy to add on the '59.  Mine has them that were added by the previous owner at some point in time and they look pretty much "factory" to me and anyone who has seen the car.  I also added a Mopar performance distributor and must admit that I don't miss those da$% dual points one little bit.  My car often goes a month between outings and it seems every time I went to drive it the points had corroded and it ran like poo.

If you get anywhere with the disk brakes please let us know.  Down here in the granny capital of the world it isn't unusual to get cut off three or four times a day.  I would love to drive my car during the week sometimes but I have found the brakes are good for one hard stop and then your on prayer time until the drums have a chance to cool off again.  I just don't drive the car during peak traffic times because of this.

                                   Steve B.