Re: IML: 1959 Drum Brakes worth keeping

This idea of putting discs on your car isn't a new
one.

The stock items were considered more than adequate
when new, and if they were really a problem, you'd
likely see all sorts of aftermarket options out there,
and concensus on the list that this change is a
"Must-do" on your car.  Redone stock brakes, if done
correctly, are not much of an issue if the discussions
on the Impeiral mailing list are any indicator.

Many people with old, sloppy, out-of-adjustment drums
think that they can improve things by short-cutting
straight to "modern" technology.

I feel strongly that you should give your car a chance
to strut its stuff by redoing what you have top to
bottom, eliminating the old, worn parts completely.

I did put a dual circuit MC on my 1960 to try to add
some safety in the event of a failure, though.

Also, adjustments are not always obvious to service
people used to modern systems.  Reading and printing
out a copy of the following for your mechanic might
make a big difference.  Your mechanic may not want to
read it, though.  You're probably better off learning
how to do it yourself - that way you have a renewable
resource that's free except for the energy required to
jack the car up.  The adjustments can be done with a
wrench.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/138/index.htm

=====
Kenyon Wills