Fw: IML: '55 Hard Start

Ted,
Hopefully someone else will chime in on this, I asked same question years ago re the vapor lock and got a few answers. If you replace the carb gasket you might as well add a spacer to it which will reduce the heat sink and reduce the vapor lock. I am struggling and cannot recall the specific name of that spacer I think...phenolic??? Or is a phenolic spacer that spacer between the myofascia and the silicone biceps, buttock, jowl implant in homo sapien-sapien vanitialis surgicalis $$$$iens ambulatis quasimoto (post surgery)?
Another "trick" is to add some diesel fuel which will change the burn properties - I do not know the pro's and con's nor the ratio, and then the old put wooden clothes pins along the route of the fuel lines to create vortices of air for cooling.
Now I stand back and await the experts to chime in. I will wait and learn!
Jerry
53

My '55 was hard to start when I first got it. After a tune up (points, plugs, and wires) and timing adjustment, the problem disappeared. It now starts perfectly, hot or cold. I adjusted the timing by trial and error, not with a light. The carb is the original, hasn't been rebuilt, and I am sure could use it. So far it hasn't caused any trouble. Your car would also be difficult to start if the dual points aren't set properly, and of course for many other possible reasons also. Just a couple of ideas to consider. Good luck!