Re: IML: Please help me start my 440!

Hello-

My son had a similar problem with a rebuilt 383 that had sat quite a while and would not start. He had bought a 60 DeSoto with the rebuilt engine. We tried everything known without success. Finally asked an old mechanic, who advised us to squirt a little transmission fluid into each cylinder, crank it over without plugs, put plugs back in and try again. It worked, engine fired right up (with a cloud of white smoke) and ran fine after that.

Old timer said the rings had never seated, not enough compression to start,too much drag on metal parts. The fluid provided enough of a seal to do it-While lubing the cylinder walls .Worth a try anyway. OR it could be that the engine is too tight, what with new rings, bearings etc. and not cranking fast enough. Good luck!

                                                                                TED