The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Front Sway Bar
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

Mike P
Posted 2005-11-07 5:23 AM (#42997)
Subject: Front Sway Bar

Extreme Veteran

I suspect a few members beside me saw the 57/8 Plymouth sway bar go on E Bay last week (I bid, but it went to rich for me). It did remind me that with the extra weight of the HEMI I'm putting in the Plaza it's one of the things I want to add to the car.

I haven't had any luck finding a listing for the 57/8 Plymouths or Dodges from aftermarket suppliers so I went scrounging at the wrecking yard Saturday. I was hoping to find a 60s Chrysler that would have something close enough work.

While I was out there I came across a 57 Imperial 4 door I'd almost forgot about. Not only did have a sway bar it was the 7/8" bar (as far as I know the biggest sway bar Chrysler made in that era).

My car is still in the body shop, so it will be a while before I can actually get it on, but from the measurements I took it should be a direct bolt on ( I actually kind of wonder if this wasn't the bar they used on the D 501 Dodges). I'm going to try to find new bushings for it locally (57-65 are supposed to use the same bushings), but if I don't have any luck Gary Goers lists them.

I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if the bar wasn't standard on all the 57-8 Imperials. With the weather a bit cooler now and people going to the wrecking yards, just thought I'd pass this on.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dlthomas
Posted 2005-11-07 11:14 AM (#43015 - in reply to #42997)
Subject: RE: Front Sway Bar

Regular

I would like to find a front sway bar for my 57 Desoto Firesweep. Do you know if anything can made to fit it?

Don
Ray
Posted 2005-11-07 9:15 PM (#43059 - in reply to #42997)

Expert

I found a 7/8" bar but it is my understanding, from my email conversations with him and/or the instruction sheets, that Goers didn't make both types of bushings for this diameter bar. I was never able to make the end bushings fit.
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2005-11-07 9:23 PM (#43060 - in reply to #42997)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Y'know Mike, last year sometime. I ebayed a OM '58 NYer sway bar, WITH, ALL the brackets, (frame, as well and the strut rod brkts) ALL NEW bushings, ALL stainless bolts, nuts, and washers, ALL sandblasted, AND expoy primered.
It didn't bid up to half what that one sold for!
If I remember right, it went to Portugal, to a member, with a '59 SF.
There is a booklet you/others need to get; "Handling, How To Get It" By Addico.
Go back into the archives on this site. I have told several times, on what diameter bar to get for the front, and back, AND WHY.
You do NOT want to put a heavier/stiffer/bigger diameter bar on the front ONLY.
If you DO, then you MUST put the same diameter in the REAR!
Here is what happens. W/O a anti roll bar. Vehicle is into a turn at a certain road speed. Vehicle leans in the direction of the turn with the REAR of the vehicle pitiching higher than the front. Outside front tire rolls under.
OK, you install a normal OM front SB. Some of that rear upward body pitching is somewhat eliminated, same turn, now can be taken at a slightly faster speed.
Now take a 'welder's' point of view. (Y'know. Welders and old Whorers are a lot a like. All they both holler for, is more rod, more heat, and more money! Whoo-Haw!) MORE is better!
The NYer bar was 3/4" diameter. You say the Imp bar is 7/8". Lets go with a OM '70's-early '90's Ch3vy Van bar at a 1 1/8" THAT oughta eliminate any body roll!
Here is what happens with that way of thinking. (That booklet explaines this in better detail than I can)
Same turn, same speed, the rear upward pitching is only slightly more reduced. You CAN now go into a turn at a faster speed than with no, or an OM bar.
But look at the amount of stress/extra weight now placed on the outside front spindle/bearings/hub/wheel/tire! Chance of parts breaking. OM was NOT designed with that kind of stress
The IDEAL: For STREET use, with an occasional week end auto-cross race.
1'' dia FRONT, AND REAR bar.
Use polyurthane bushings ONLY, at the bar to frame mounting. Normal OM rubber bushings at the bar ends or link bolt ends.
As I have said in the archives. A '80-'96 full size Bronco rear 1" bar is a almost bolt in, in the FwdLk vehicles. There is an existing hole in the FwdLk boxed part of the frame, that has to be enlarged, a bushing welded in. So that when the Bronco link mounting bolt is torqued down the frame wont colapse (kids took my dictionary)
A couple of members have allready installed Bronco rear bars, and posted pictures.
Again. As I have said in the archives on this subjest, I'm going to do a pictorial step-by-step how to on istalling a Bronco and a Ch3vy van rear bar.
Mike, go look at a '70's B body lower A arm sway bar mount.
That mounting bracket is designed to have a LOT MORE better anit roll than the OM FwdLk link bar mounting.
As far as not finding a front FwdLk bar. There are aftermarket places that DO sell them.
The reason they are not plentiful is. Back in '57, to advertise the merits of the tortion bar suspension. They showed a '57 F0rd and Ch3vy WITH a front sway bar, going into a turn. Next, a '57 Plymouth WITHOUT a front bar, had less body roll/lean! Didn't need any bars!
I found a aftermarket 1" bar, with a stitch welded, B body style, lower A arm brket, made out of 1/4' plate in a yard. I'm going to use it on the front of my Belvy.
ANY OM 1" bar that has the ends, (link bolts) as close to the outside of the FwdLk lower A arms, and the mounting is close to the frame width, and clear everything will work
I'm sure Hielwig/Addico will have a front AND rear bar kits for the FwdLk vehicles.
Price will be up there. I bought TWO, COMPLETE, Bronco bars, at a yard, sometime ago for a Ben Franklin.
Eventually I will find what OM bar will work for the front of the FwdLk's.
That way we can get our 'handling' at a fraction of the aftermarket"s one bar price!
Have fun.
1960fury
Posted 2005-11-08 2:50 AM (#43073 - in reply to #43060)

Expert 5K+

i had mine custom made 1.1/8" front 15/16" rear ( rear one maybe a bit too strong) by a small east german spring shop and only paid around $120 per bar, if i remember correctly.
i fabricated brackets that i weldet to the strut rods (as close as possible to the control arms) in order to use the end link bolts (instead of the oe clamps) the original bars are just too weak (largest 7/8") and the design is not very efficient. the frame mounts are much too close to the centerline of the car. my car had the 3/4" standard front bar which didn't make a big difference. if interested i can try to post some pics of my sway bar set ups. they work GREAT.
Mike P
Posted 2005-11-08 9:15 AM (#43080 - in reply to #42997)

Extreme Veteran

Rick, I've run Addco bars in the past and they are a decent product, I even read the little booklet you refer to that they used to pack with each bar. I'm not so sure I necessarly buy into they reasoning that that front and rear bars should be the same size (remember they are the ones building the bars and may not be the most unbiased sourse of information).

True suspension tuning must take into account a lot of factors about the individual vehicle AND driving/ride charastics the owner wishes to have when the project is done. As I recall Addco's book fails to mention such things as front to rear weight bias, suspension geometry, the different charastics between leaf and coil sprung rear suspensions, affects of different shock valving etc. Addcos "one size (diameter) fits all" approach while definatly improving the handling of the majority of cars, especially those that came with no bars to begin with is still not the optimum way to go about setting up a suspension.

The majority of factory front and rear sway bar combinations tend to use a rear bar that is 1/2 to 7/8 the size of the front bar, and while these setups are admittedly a compromise between handelling and comfort (with the comfort likely being a bigger part). I personally tend to go with bigger bars in the same ratio of size that the factory used. Of course if I was making and selling sway bars, good hype woud be to tell people that need a diffrent size (ratio) than the other guys/factory offers.

In the case of the 57 Plymouth I'm building, it's intended to be a long distance interstate cruzer/stop light to stop light car, not a road racer. If I was running a small block, chances are I wouldn't even worry about a bar on it, however with the iron head Hemi that it's receiving I figure a front bar couldn't hurt. After the car is actually on the road driving, I'll evaluate the need for a rear bar if any, based on how the car handles for the way it's going to be driven.
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2005-11-10 12:07 AM (#43202 - in reply to #42997)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Good Grief! My Addico booklet sure is differnt from yours.
It 'does' cover ALL types of suspension systems. Pros and cons of each. Even covers Watts lingages, and Panhard bars!
I never bought a Addico or Heilwig bars. I always got junk yard bars, etc. I saw the advertismant for the booklet somewhere, and ordered it.
Some things I agree with, and disagree with.
The one size fits all, I agree with you. Each vehicle is differnt.
I'm relating the 1" front and rear bar(s) is middle line. Should offer EXCELLENT handling for normal street driving as well as an occasional autocross race for most of the normal FwdLk vehicles.
When I was doing some VERY serious autocrossing back in the '70's. One of the loopholes in the rule book's stingent OEM suspension, was swaybars.
Hells Bells! I was running stacked OM front bars, a front and rear facing rear bars!
With autocorss, each week the track was changed. Depending on what car each of the track judges owned. Guys that owned Porshes/VW's/Volvos/etc, ALWAYS had a short twisty track. The Corvette/Mustang/V-8 guys, opted for longer straights.
Short twisty course, bigger than a 1"diameter bar(s) was needed. When the track had longer straights and very few turns, less weight of under 1" was good.
Since I was running in the top of the stock suspension classes. (meaning 'top' I was borderline cheating, and would be bumped to the modified suspension classes.) I found out the 1" diameter bars was a good middle ground. Along with the bar's mounting bushings being polyurthane, and the link ends being regulair OM rubber.
The all out modified classes, every bushing was polyurthane. It was a must have! Where poly busings for every day street driving is sorta' unconfortable.
Out there where you live what is it, you gotta drive a hundred miles to find a turn?
Here, it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a straight-a-way within any miles. LOL
So, I'm just relating my experiences that worked, and pass them along.
Along with any question asked on this site. One can take the awnser(s) use them to a 'T' or, not use the suggestions at all, or, modifiy the suggestions to fit their whims.
Soundslike you got your bases covered, good! It's just I would suggest a rear bar for all that forward weight.
Have fun.
My58PlymouthFury
Posted 2005-11-10 12:40 AM (#43208 - in reply to #42997)

Extreme Veteran

Rick,

While we are on the sway bar subject again, I just wanted to update you on my progress. I finished up the sway bar installation with 1 1/8" front and rear bars on the '58. The rear being a Helwig '86 OJ Bronco 2WD (per your advise), and the front I had bent up from spring steel at my local fabricator looking very similar to the skinny $300 "Ebay sway bar" from last week. Only instead of clamping the ends to the strut rods as the factory did, I used short "bolt type" stablilizer links and welded 3/16" braced tabs to the lower control arms just inboard of the strut rod mounts, securing the center of the bar to the front frame crossmember with conventional saddle type mounts. If any of you Forward Lookers are contemplating doing this modification, DO IT! DO IT!. The handling of the Plymmie with the bars can be very easily compared to that of a '94 -'96 Impala SS. If any of you have ever driven one of those cars, Its quite impressive to see a car of that size handle THAT good. Anyway, we still have a few good days of weather here in the Windy City, so I'll be cuttin' the corners like never before with the ole steed! Thanks again Rick for your expert advise.

Dave W.
Mike P
Posted 2005-11-10 8:08 AM (#43227 - in reply to #42997)

Extreme Veteran

Rick, I do believe that we were looking a different books, the one I remember was basically a medium size pamphlet.

"........Out there where you live what is it, you gotta drive a hundred miles to find a turn?.........." LOL that can be pretty close, some places here there aint nothn' for miles and miles but miles and miles.Basically, on my Plaza 2 dr Post I'm in uncharted grounds right now. I figure a front bar will be a good thing due to the added weight of the HEMI, (I will still have to make that turn 100 miles down the road).

The front bar may just turn out to be a starting point for what the suspension will eventually become. Once I get the car actually back together and have driven it a while, I'll be able to see how what I'm doing works together, .....heavier torsion bars, shocks, tires weight bias etc. I'm first admit that at this point, I'm pretty much guessing based on my previous experience.

Your mechanical insights are always well thought out and welcome. The Bronco sway bar info will save a lot of figuring out for me if I decide add a rear bar. Right now, I'm just a wait and see point (darn it).

My58PlymouthFury... If you could post some pictures on your sway bars, I'd really be interested to see how it looks.

My58PlymouthFury
Posted 2005-11-10 9:06 AM (#43230 - in reply to #42997)

Extreme Veteran

Will do Mike. I'll snap some pics of the sway bars next time I have her in the air.

Dave W.
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2005-11-10 10:50 AM (#43240 - in reply to #42997)

Wise Old Village Idiot

OH, PLEASE! Somebody post plenty of pictures!!!!!
It's going to be a while before I can get to that point, to post 'how to' pictures.
INCH AND A EIGHTH!!!!!! GHEEZE That is 1 ton pick-up/Ch3vy hi-top van/all out racing, diameter!
Anyway. What did you do to the rear frame to accept the Bronco link bolt? Welding that sleeve in a existing hole, which is near the correct location, smooth the weld down, no judge is gonna be able to see it, was what I came up with so the 'purists' could 'have their cake and eat it too', over a external brkt welded on the inside of the frame where the tailpipe might rattle against it.
Can anybody, PLEASE, post a picture of the '70's B body lower A arm, OM swaybar mounting brkt?
That, whatever shape you want to call it, is how I plan to make the A arm brkts for my set up.
You mounting the swaybar end, to the A arm, instead of the support rod, results in superior handling!
MoPar used that support rod mounting for the swaybar, clear up in the '80's!
Look, that mounting procedure, does work,,,,,,,,, but,,,,, why not make it work better?
Post pictures of how you designed yer A arm brkts.
You say you got a local coil spring shop in yer area to make up a custom designed bar for yer car?
What was the cost doing it that way vs. buying a Addico/Heliwig for a FwdLk vehicle?
(the idea is getting them to run off several for those on the site, if it's cheaper)
Or is Addico/Heilwig"s FwdLk bars mount to the support rod like OM? (Mr. Yuk face, being made)
Now, if someone who is better equiped than I am right now, can see what it takes to mount that '69-'84 Corvette steering box,,,,,,,,,,,,. Your Ply will handle QUICKER (better ?) than the "jelly-bean" SS Impala!
Hells Bells! Want the BEST handling possible!? Either use later 'Vette, or Viper, complete suspen, welded in the the stock OM frame. ALL indipendent suspension. (Street Rodders have been using Vette rear suspension since it came out, in '63) Or extend the existing Viper/Vette frame, and set yer body down on it!
Isn't there a '57 Chrysler being set down on a Viper frame/running gear right now?
But, getting back to relaity,,,,,,,,,,. Pocketbook, garage space, tools, and experience, the 'normal' Fwdlker that is on this site, has. The double swaybar/Vette steering conversion is our (only) "Ticket To Ride"
SOMEBODY/EVERYBODY, POST PICTURES OF YOUR IMPROVEMENTS (modifications)!!!
Don't keep hem to yourselves, thinking the purists, will voice some oral (poop)!
Fearless, has even set up a section just for that!
Your improvment (ideas, ANY ideas) might suddenly, clear away the 'cobwebs' ('y'know, the F0rd's lightbulb advertisment back in the '60's/'70's) a lesser experienced, needs, to fix/improve a problem!
My58PlymouthFury
Posted 2005-11-10 12:08 PM (#43246 - in reply to #42997)

Extreme Veteran

Will do Canman! I'll try to get it over to my work where I can put it up in the air rather than getting sub-par pics from laying on the floor in my garage.

Dave W.
My58PlymouthFury
Posted 2005-11-10 6:05 PM (#43275 - in reply to #42997)

Extreme Veteran

Here are the sway bar pics:

(front sway bar.jpg)

(front bar saddle clamps.jpg)

(front bar end link.jpg)

(rear sway bar.jpg)

(rear bar end link right side.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments front sway bar.jpg (41KB - 453 downloads)
Attachments front bar saddle clamps.jpg (30KB - 318 downloads)
Attachments front bar end link.jpg (17KB - 326 downloads)
Attachments rear sway bar.jpg (43KB - 647 downloads)
Attachments rear bar end link right side.jpg (27KB - 313 downloads)
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2005-11-24 12:23 AM (#44275 - in reply to #42997)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Dave, GOOD pictures!
However, that rear bar don't look anything like the OM fullsized Broncos I've got bars from.
Sounds like your combination works!
Anyway.
You mentioned the handling of the 'jelly bean' shaped, SS Impalas!
You know what size front bar those cars have!? INCH AND A QUARTER!
1 1/4" front, and a 1" rear! GEEZE!
That is the size of most motorcycle exhaust pipes!
Bugman
Posted 2005-11-24 12:11 PM (#44307 - in reply to #42997)

Elite Veteran

I've got one of the afore mentioned Impala SS's(or close enough, it's a cop package Caprice)For something that weighs more than my '55, it handles like a dream. I can out corner a good majority of cars on the road. My limiting factor is tires, because my 15" cop tires have huge flexable sidewalls, where as the Impala SS got 17's instead. With minor mods, they can be GREAT AutoX cars. Like Can said, it's got big darn swaybars on it stock. My upgraded swaybar is an even bigger 1.4" bar off a late Z28. In my quest for better handeling, stopping and cheaper parts, I'm probably going to try and adapt the SS front suspension onto my '55.

Now back to our regularly schedualed Foreward Look discussion..

Edited by Bugman 2005-11-24 12:13 PM
Fins59
Posted 2005-11-24 9:43 PM (#44338 - in reply to #42997)

Veteran

Stefan Steinmaier has posted nice pics of his front sway bar installation on 59SportFury.net. Just go to that site, click on "showcase" - click on "Sport Fury", and then click on Stefan's name and you'll see a link on "swaybar installation". He has other good info/pics on the page.
Devioussquirrel
Posted 2008-01-05 7:44 PM (#109763 - in reply to #43275)

Extreme Veteran

Dave,

That '58 Plymouth sway bar installation is beautiful. I'm very intrigued. This message thread is now two years old. How are the sway bars holding up? Where did you get the hot pink bushings for the front bar? Are they polyurethane?

Did the black bushings on the rear sway bar come with the kit you purchased from Helwig? Are those U-bolts I see attached to the axle sleeves? Did those also come from Helwig?

Thanks!
Justin
My58PlymouthFury
Posted 2008-01-06 6:15 PM (#109838 - in reply to #109763)

Extreme Veteran

Justin,

All the front hardware is from the local Autozone. The bushings are a very bright red (look pink in the pics). The rear hardware is from the Helwig kit. I just used shorter end link spacers than the kit supplied (GM full size caliper slides).

Ray
Posted 2008-01-06 10:35 PM (#109882 - in reply to #43208)

Expert

Dave W. --"My 58 PlmouthFury"

This is a reply to part of a thread that has been resurected from 2 years ago . I am curious about the impact of the three things that you did in this modification; inboard mount, end links, and mount to crossmember without links.

Can you comment on which modifcation you feel contributed the most?

Thanks,

Ray

Edited by Ray 2008-01-06 10:42 PM
My58PlymouthFury
Posted 2008-01-07 3:45 PM (#109987 - in reply to #109882)

Extreme Veteran

Ray,

I think the way I set it up is a more modern approach to the bar mounting than the factory did back in the fifties, however, the end result is basically the same, links in the center or links outboard at the control arms. The biggest impact to handling I think would be bar diameter. What was stock 3/4" or 7/8"? Most full size cars built within the last 15 years or so have 1", 1 1/8", 1 1/4" or even 1 5/16" bars on the front. The only downside is the urethane mounts: If you hit a pothole with one front wheel, it is a little harsh. Hope this helps.
Ray
Posted 2008-01-07 6:53 PM (#110006 - in reply to #109987)

Expert

Thanks Dave. That cleared up all my questions.

Ray
dlthomas
Posted 2008-01-09 6:40 PM (#110237 - in reply to #42997)

Regular

Guys, Forgive the newer car vintage here but since we're talking all about sway bars...

I have purchased front sway bars from Summit Racing for my 2 '64 Darts. They seem to work great on dry pavement but I "fishtail" bad on wet. Maybe I need to put rears on as well??????? The fronts are 7/8 I think.

ALSO: tHE KIT'S MOUNTING HARDWARE/INSTRUCTIONS required mouting the end link brackets on the shock absorber bolts--Is this a common practice?? Is it ok or bad? Would weldind the brackets to the lower control arms be better? If so what vis the ideal location??? Thanks for all advice
Powerflite
Posted 2008-01-26 3:02 PM (#112397 - in reply to #110237)

Expert 5K+

7/8" diameter bars shouldn't be a problem at all for a '64 Dart. The 67-69 Formula S Barracudas came with 7/8" diameter from the factory. After market bars for these are 1.125". I have never heard of mounting the sway bar to the shock. They usually just mount to the lower control arm. The end link bushings have some give in them to allow the bar to rotate up with suspension travel. If your shock-mounted style has no give in the mounts, that could be your problem. The bar would act a lot stiffer than it is if there is a binding problem. If you want to change it, just take a look under a 67-69 Dart or Cuda. You might even be able to use the same bar and fab mounts to fit it. A rear bar is also a very good idea. Good luck.
MoparBrew
Posted 2008-03-03 10:47 PM (#118145 - in reply to #42997)
Subject: Re: Front Sway Bar

Extreme Veteran

My 58 Fury, you should have your guy bend up a few more front bars. I know my 58 wagon would love one!! What did he charge you for front bar?
narleycharlie
Posted 2008-03-19 1:16 PM (#121039 - in reply to #42997)

Expert

Sid can you post pics of your setup . Getting ready to do front and rears on my car , Got a 1 1/8 from a 79 tbird for the front and a 7/8s on the rear , don t know what it from but it will fit good . Looking for ideas on mounting them . Thanks
Kingsway
Posted 2008-03-19 2:42 PM (#121052 - in reply to #42997)

Veteran

Here´s my version of sway bars. First two photos are from the car where sway bars were before. Two last photos are from my car. Here it´s not ready yet. That black part is just bolted on suspension arm/strut bar. In these pics sway bar is on the wrong side, it is going to be above the strut bar.

Pretty easy to install. I´ll take better pics when it´s ready. I haven´t installed rear sway bar yet.

(vak1.jpg)

(vak2.jpg)

(vak3.jpg)

(vak4.jpg)

(vak5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments vak1.jpg (54KB - 240 downloads)
Attachments vak2.jpg (62KB - 242 downloads)
Attachments vak3.jpg (43KB - 240 downloads)
Attachments vak4.jpg (49KB - 228 downloads)
Attachments vak5.jpg (49KB - 232 downloads)
Kingsway
Posted 2008-03-24 3:02 AM (#121982 - in reply to #42997)

Veteran

Front sway bar installed. It´s not symmetrical, hope it doesn´t matter. I´ll fix it next winter. Well, as you see, there is also something else to do with the body (rust).

Edited by Kingsway 2008-03-24 3:18 PM

(vak6.jpg)

(vak7.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments vak6.jpg (42KB - 240 downloads)
Attachments vak7.jpg (48KB - 230 downloads)
1960fury
Posted 2008-03-24 6:54 PM (#122095 - in reply to #121982)

Expert 5K+

kai, looks great, but keep in mind when driving, a sway bar is (like) a torsion bar affected scratches, scuffs etc. its mounted pretty low. look at the dent in your crossmember. your sway bar sits even lower AND ahead of the tires... be carefull, slide a rubber (cooling) hose over it at least.
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2008-03-25 12:52 AM (#122178 - in reply to #122095)

Wise Old Village Idiot

what did you make the mount out of that bolted on top of the OM strut bar?
It looks like some kind of strut bar also.
How did you 'turn' the end diameter down to get (looks like a 1/2' threads) a die on the end to make threads?
Or is the shoulder turned down to 1/2" to fit the hime end and 3/8" threads?
NICE simple A-arm mounting!
Next time you do this. Change on little thing. It will improve your body lean better. Move the front bar's center mounts out farther.
Try to mount them clear out almost to the sway bar bends. I can see you making a simple gusseted brkt that goes from the cross member up to the frame rail.
Hey Sid. Guess what I just found upstairs in one corner of the garage in a box with a Germany addy!? I was wondering what the ^%$# do I have, that's from Germany!? Here is was that Mercedes stabilizer shock you gave me a 100 years ago! I stuck it upsatairs and forgot about it. I'll think I'll stick it on the Dodge when I get the Bronco rear bar, and that aftermarket front bar I had for the '58, installed!
Kingsway
Posted 2008-03-25 9:34 AM (#122209 - in reply to #42997)

Veteran

Yes, sway bar sits pretty low, I´ve noticed that. I´ll see this summer how it works. Rubber hose sounds good.

Before installation I was thinking to install sway bar to backside of the crossmember. Then it would be 1/2 inch back and 1 inch upper than now and it would be above the strut bars all its way. But because of strut bars there isn´t room enough. Next winter I´m gonna shape sway bar again and try again. Then I can also fix center mounts and move them out.

Rick: I don´t quite understand your questions (sorry my poor english), but I try to answer. I didn´t have to make any modifications to suspension or body, just bolt on. At first I took OM strut bar bolts off and bolted black sway bar mount on with longer bolts. Sway bar and strut bar uses same mounting spots. Sway bar mount is made from ordinary steel, so I don´t see any problem making threads. There´s 13mm (almost like 1/2") tread in that mount and its bolt goes through the articulated shackle (is that correct?). That shackle is connected to sway bar with 4" arm.
Did this answer your questions?

Edited by Kingsway 2008-03-25 2:37 PM
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2008-03-25 10:36 PM (#122324 - in reply to #122209)

Wise Old Village Idiot

OK, see if I can ask this way. It may be my 'accent' (ignrnt hik) you not being able to understand.
Pictures; vak 4, and vak 5. That black thing. What ALL can you tell me about that piece? How you made it? What was it made out of? Etc?
Usually, when aftermarket front bars are used on the front of FwdLk vehicles. B-body (Road Runner, Super B, Super Bird, etc) lower A-arm mount is used over on the FwdLk lower A-arm. Sorry I don't have a picture.
That thing you used, I like better than the B-body mounting.
Thanks
Kingsway
Posted 2008-03-26 6:38 AM (#122344 - in reply to #42997)

Veteran

Black pieces: I haven´t made them by myself. My friend made them to his 1959 Dodge Kingsway and I had them from him. But it is very simple. It is an universal bracket from local hardware store and it is stainless steel. Thread was already there, only had to do was two holes for strut bar bolts. I´m not sure about its main use and I haven´t made any strength analysis, but I believe that it will hold. Material thickness from the thinnest spot is about 3/8”-1/2” and it´s more than 1” wide from same spot. Same guy has also turned these and other kind of mounts with lathe, but I don´t know any specs of how has he done it.

I think the weakest part of the mount is the 12mm horizontal bolt which holds that 4” arm. Bolt is 10.8. I don´t know do they use same standards in USA, but 10 means that tensile strenght is 1000MPa and 9 means that relation of yield limit and breaking strenght is 0.9. Yield limit is 10*8*10 = 800MPa. Breaking strenght is 800MPa/0.9 = 888MPa. So, I wonder if the mount won´t hold! Of course, this bolt is not the only thing in the sway bar.

OT: My parents use to live in Dallas, Texas and I visited them few times. Sometimes speaking with orig local people wasn´t so easy because of their wide Texas accent. There was one small store I used to visit. I used to have smalltalk with storekeeper, mostly he asked me about Europe and things in there. He always sounded like he would have hot potato in his mouth. These were good lessons for my english comprehension.

Edited by Kingsway 2008-03-26 2:31 PM
1960fury
Posted 2008-03-29 7:13 PM (#122801 - in reply to #122178)

Expert 5K+

alumcanTandThd - 2008-03-25 12:52 AM

Hey Sid. Guess what I just found upstairs in one corner of the garage in a box with a Germany addy!? I was wondering what the ^%$# do I have, that's from Germany!? Here is was that Mercedes stabilizer shock you gave me a 100 years ago! I stuck it upsatairs and forgot about it. I'll think I'll stick it on the Dodge when I get the Bronco rear bar, and that aftermarket front bar I had for the '58, installed!

great, remember, it was for your 57 and i wasn't sure if it (the bracket i fabricated) would fit. well you have a 61 with a BB now. i test fitted it on my girls BB 61 so i'm positive it will work for you
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2008-03-30 8:03 PM (#122982 - in reply to #42997)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Hey Sid! I sent you a PM and a email. I don't know if the email addy I used is current or not?
Try not to PM me, I can't open them. Thanks
DK's300
Posted 2008-05-05 8:50 PM (#128720 - in reply to #42997)

Veteran

I just scored a pair of heavy duty torsion bars and a front sway bar with all the mounting hardware for my '62 300. The engine is out of the car and I wasn't planning to put the sway bar in until it's ready with paint, etc. But, if anybody is interested in photos of the unmounted sway bar and mocked up in my stripped out subframe, I can probably do that. I think the setup is the same for '60-'64 full size and may be similar for earlier FL cars. Let me know.
narleycharlie
Posted 2008-05-06 9:25 AM (#128751 - in reply to #42997)

Expert

Yeah Dave , we want pics . Can you post them here ?
DK's300
Posted 2008-05-06 5:42 PM (#128799 - in reply to #128751)

Veteran

I will sure try to figure out how to get it done.
DK's300
Posted 2008-05-08 8:34 PM (#129140 - in reply to #128799)

Veteran

So after much fighting with the photo editing program, here they are. Looks like one of the photos of the bracket and link didn't rotate. The 4 small bolts in my hand are the self-tappers used to mount the brackets to the front subframe. If you need explanations on any of the photos let me know.

Edited by DK's300 2008-05-08 8:42 PM

(IMG_0287.jpg)

(IMG_0288.jpg)

(sway bar 001.jpg)

(sway bar 002.jpg)

(sway bar 003.jpg)

(sway bar 004.jpg)

(sway bar 005.jpg)

(sway bar 006.jpg)

(sway bar 007.jpg)

(sway bar 008.jpg)

(sway bar 009.jpg)

(sway bar 010.jpg)

(sway bar 011.jpg)

(sway bar 012.jpg)

(sway bar 013.jpg)

(sway bar 014.jpg)

(sway bar 015.jpg)

(sway bar 016.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0287.jpg (49KB - 225 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0288.jpg (38KB - 236 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 001.jpg (42KB - 221 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 002.jpg (46KB - 237 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 003.jpg (38KB - 229 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 004.jpg (32KB - 232 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 005.jpg (32KB - 208 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 006.jpg (57KB - 350 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 007.jpg (50KB - 225 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 008.jpg (55KB - 243 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 009.jpg (48KB - 278 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 010.jpg (48KB - 227 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 011.jpg (52KB - 334 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 012.jpg (56KB - 244 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 013.jpg (53KB - 272 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 014.jpg (42KB - 221 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 015.jpg (48KB - 336 downloads)
Attachments sway bar 016.jpg (48KB - 275 downloads)
DK's300
Posted 2008-08-30 5:12 AM (#143210 - in reply to #42997)

Veteran

Does anyone know of a vendor who makes or can replace the rubber bushings in my sway bar mounts? Thanks.

Edited by DK's300 2008-08-30 5:13 AM
catman
Posted 2008-09-01 8:59 PM (#143436 - in reply to #143210)

Elite Veteran

Gary Goers has the parts you need on page 42 of his newest catalog. (If you have it)
Big Jimbo
Posted 2008-09-02 7:58 PM (#143536 - in reply to #42997)

Veteran

Charlie
How far apart are the a-arm mounting holes on the 79 T-bird bar?
Jim
60 Plymouth
Posted 2008-09-07 6:26 PM (#144039 - in reply to #42997)

Elite Veteran

dk

What is that set up off of? Looking to put a sway bar on my 60
DK's300
Posted 2008-09-24 10:09 AM (#145838 - in reply to #144039)

Veteran

The bar and hardware are from a '62 300H. I think the frame and hub to hub width on your '60 might be the same or close enough to fit.
d500neil
Posted 2008-09-26 6:34 PM (#146113 - in reply to #145838)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Please-all remember that we do not need, or want, to try to install a rear sway bar on our cars.

The front bar (a good thing) helps to keep the front tires planted on the road, and allows the rear wheels
to slide, creating a bit of an oversteer (neutralizing the inherent understeering effect caused by our heavy
engines, and forward-weight bias).

A rear sway bar will tend to cause the inboard-cornering rear wheel to come off of the pavement, instead of having
both wheels slide across the roadway.

NEAT little secret, here: the national 'salvage' yards are full of Dodges and stationwagons with sway bars.

They just have to cut-out the sway bar brackets from the frame rails, and remove the lower control arm bracket
attachments.

As above posted, Gary Goers sells correct sway bar bushings.

BTW, a CHRY/Soto/IMP sway bar CAN be retrofitted to a Dodge or a PLY, but, due to the length/width of those bars,
their attaching frame brackets need to be installed "upside down" (with their 'horizontal floors'-section located at the TOP
of the frame rail, instead of near the bottom of it) with the sway bar being suspended from that elevated position.

The physical location of the sway bar brackets, on the frame rails, will also be different from the Dodge position.

Dodge (and PLY??) frame rails already have OEM slit-notches cut into them, where the Dodge sway bar brackets' OEM-mounting-tabs should be inserted and welded to the frame (if that particular frame were to have had a sway bar be installed on it.)--how slick is THAT?

In 1957, only the Custom Royals and the station wagons got OEM sway bars.

The Coros & Roys got heavier (optional equipment on the CR's) standard torsion bars, than the CR's.

Edited by d500neil 2008-09-26 6:41 PM
1960fury
Posted 2008-09-29 6:21 AM (#146308 - in reply to #146113)

Expert 5K+

d500neil - 2008-09-26 6:34 PM

Please-all remember that we do not need, or want, to try to install a rear sway bar on our cars.

The front bar (a good thing) helps to keep the front tires planted on the road, and allows the rear wheels
to slide, creating a bit of an oversteer (neutralizing the inherent understeering effect caused by our heavy
engines, and forward-weight bias).

neil, what makes FL cars different from the millions of front engine rwd vehicles (i e cop cars) that came from the factory with rear sway bars? rear sway bars improve traction and reduce self steer by limiting the unwanted tilting (camber change) of banjo axles. btw, i weighed my fury and weight was very close to 50/50 front/rear.
d500neil
Posted 2008-09-29 9:15 PM (#146379 - in reply to #146308)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Rear sway bars actually inhibit cornering, as they tend to cause the inside rear wheel to LIFT, causing loss of control.

We have independent front suspensions, so it helps to try to coordinate the actions of those wheels, relative to each other.

I can quote from various publications, on this subject, but I am not a mechanical engineer, so can not quote various
laws of physics to anyone.

The simplest layman's explanation is to defer to the engineers at Chrysler, and the other manufacturers, who determined that
rear sway bars were not needed on heavy, front-weight-oriented cars, but, that probably is not sufficient logic for you.

If you want your car to exhibit as neutral as possible cornering capability, instead of a drastic understeer, you will install
a front sway bar, only.

And, do not install, under any circumstances, synthetic rear end gear oil, as it will (in every car, but Sid's) leak/seep past
axle seals and contaminate the rear brake shoes , and pads (on rear disc brakes cars).

John Serkaian
Posted 2008-09-29 11:29 PM (#146406 - in reply to #42997)

Regular

There are various theories of optimum roll rates, spring rates, roll centers, scrub radius, alignment settings, damper characteristics, etc., etc, etc., and there's no perfect recipe. The key reason you don't find many rear anti sway bars on pre '70 Mopars was the belief that the existing longitudinal rear leaf springs offered enough inherent roll stiffness compared to GM and Ford coil-spring suspension systems that anti-sway bars weren't necessary. (Leaf springs twist when deflected unevenly side-to-side, especially when stiff bushings are used.)

The LA police demanded rear anti sway bars when the '68 B-body pursuit cars were developed and Chrysler had to reconsider their vehicle dynamics strategy and balance the police-specific stiffer rear roll rates with even higher front roll rates to prevent oversteer tendencies. As suspensions became more compliant with softer spring and bushing rates and handling demands increased with better and wider tires during the '70's, front anti-sway bars became "stiffer" and rear anti-sway bars became more common.

As long as the front and rear roll rates are balanced to prevent undesirable oversteer tendencies or inside tire-lifting , I'd go with the largest diameter front and rear bars you can find or fabricate and see if you like the improved handling characteristics. If standard-rate leaf springs and torsion bars are retained, you can still enjoy the benefits of a soft, comfortable ride with improved cornering - not a bad combination for a heavy street car. I updated my 1961 Fury in 1976 with a Cordoba rear sway-bar and a custom front bar and there was a dramatic handling improvement. Good luck with your project.
1960fury
Posted 2008-09-30 7:21 AM (#146421 - in reply to #146379)

Expert 5K+

d500neil - 2008-09-29 9:15 PM

And, do not install, under any circumstances, synthetic rear end gear oil, as it will (in every car, but Sid's) leak/seep past
axle seals and contaminate the rear brake shoes , and pads (on rear disc brakes cars).

oh no not that again! read the answer here:
http://forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20639&post...

back to sway bars. rear sway bars do NOT cause understeer (a too big rear sway bar can increase OVERsteer) they do all that what i said in my previous post and also add safety and prevent loss of control in case a rear spring breaks. which happened to me with one of andy bernbaums leaf springs, very unpleasant. (of course a front sway bar is a must when using a rear sway bar) neil, you said you are no engineer... correct! but ENGINEERS add rear sway bars to front engine RWD vehicles. nothing more needs to be said. and btw my car handles better with a rear sway bar. (yes, i have a big 1.1/8" front sway bar) did YOU ever race or drive a fl car with a rear sway bar?

Edited by 1960fury 2008-09-30 1:43 PM
60 Plymouth
Posted 2008-09-30 8:00 PM (#146470 - in reply to #146421)

Elite Veteran

SID
where did you get your sway bar? i want to put front and rear on mine. Your are right front and rear make a huge difference on cars. My 85 rx7 rwd has frt and rear with a solid axle so maybe those engineers know something

If you have any pics that would be great.
1960fury
Posted 2008-10-01 6:35 AM (#146502 - in reply to #146470)

Expert 5K+

60 Plymouth - 2008-09-30 8:00 PM

SID
where did you get your sway bar?
If you have any pics that would be great.

had them custom made. will post pictures soon.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)