The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What To Do With Deck Lid Insulation
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

AceS
Posted 2023-01-14 2:09 PM (#626940)
Subject: What To Do With Deck Lid Insulation

Veteran

I'm getting my last body piece straightened out and into epoxy primer... the deck lid. It still has the insulation pad in it but it is in less than ideal shape shape.

What do you you body guys do here? Looking for some suggestions as I can't make up my mind. Is pulling the insulation out a can of worms that I don't want to open? What to replace it with... or just add some padding between at spots between the inside frame and skin and paint everything?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
StillOutThere
Posted 2023-01-14 6:02 PM (#626951 - in reply to #626940)
Subject: Re: What To Do With Deck Lid Insulation

I've seen two things done.
1. Mask the openings and spray in some of the rattle can "rhino-liner" used for pickup beds and sound insulation
2. Bob Drake was first to bring out a reproduction of the oil-impregnated cardboard-like material that Ford used for insulation. Its not exactly what Chrysler used because it is slightly patterned, but it is very near authentic.

Believe it or not, the ORIGINAL, factory supplied material was made by a New York company now owned by a Chrysler collector (Bob Merritt). Bob told me literally decades ago that the material was long gone, totally obsolete, and would never be made by the company again. Do NOT bother him with any inquiries!

I have used the Drake / Ford material in my '56 Dodge trunk lid and am pleased with the result. Very likely now many other Ford suppliers also carry this stuff. I found it worth my time to go price shopping for it.
Powerflite
Posted 2023-01-14 7:34 PM (#626955 - in reply to #626940)

Expert 5K+

Don't pull the insulation out. It provides structural support for the upper skin. If you pull it out, the skin will oil can and rattle while driving and it's pretty much impossible to replace in between there. Just cut it and replace it in sections.
AceS
Posted 2023-01-15 12:39 PM (#626977 - in reply to #626955)

Veteran

Thanks for the input. I have decided to carefully cut and remove the exposed portions and leave what is between the inner frame and skin in place and then paint it all body color. The primer and paint should seal the cut edges and prevent further deterioration. Since it's a mild custom, I don't feel the need to re-establish the stock look of the insulation.
ttotired
Posted 2023-01-15 5:31 PM (#626987 - in reply to #626940)

Expert 5K+

When I did the dodge I tried to just cut out the exposed sections, It
didnt work. Some of the bits under the inner frame were loose and moved around. I ended
up pulling it all out.

I put small pieces in at various spots to space the skin back out and put seam sealer in the gaps.

Once that was dry, normal painting

AceS
Posted 2023-01-15 11:35 PM (#627003 - in reply to #626987)

Veteran

Well, it's done and went good..... but I will probably add some silicon beads to ensure the spacing between the inner frame and skin stays in place. I was expecting to find some surface rust between the metal and the pad where it had delaminated but it was quite clean. Its actually going to look a lot better without the insulation pad. Tomorrow is the last day of epoxy primer!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)