The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Unusual Survivor?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

Kato
Posted 2022-11-29 7:08 PM (#625962)
Subject: Unusual Survivor?

Hi, everyone. I am a new member of the forum, having just purchased my first Forward Look car, and I'm wondering how unusual / rare it is, given the particular way in which it was optioned. I'm not seeking this information to flip it, I want the car as-is, but it strikes me as an unusual survivor and I'm wondering if that impression is correct.

The car is a 1956 DeSoto Firedome 4-dr sedan, which I know was relatively common. Mine, however, has no power options - I've got manual windows, locks, seat, brakes, and steering. It does not have carpet, and I believe the rubber mat to be original. It is optioned with a heater, radio, and windshield washer foot pump, but it doesn't have the lower trim line (or evidence it ever did) that would create the space for two-toning the body, although the roof is a different color (white) than the body (black). Finally, it has a factory BW 3-spd manual with overdrive, and I don't remember seeing too many of those (in this era DeSotos) over the years, but I haven't really been following the marque too closely.

So, I can envision that a fair number of cars might have rolled off the line similarly spec'd, but am I wrong to think that there aren't likely many left in this configuration?

Thanks in advance for all replies and knowledge, and I'm excited to have joined the group!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lancer Mike
Posted 2022-11-29 8:33 PM (#625966 - in reply to #625962)
Subject: RE: Unusual Survivor?

Welcome to the forums, Kato!  Sounds like a wonderful car you have.  Fortunately or unfortunately, the ForwardLook cars are not like the later A and B bodies from the late 60's where they can decode every car to a 1 of X made with those exact options and colors.  I kind of like the mystery of it all.  Somebody here probably knows the 1956 Firedome 4-door sedan production number though.  I would love to see images if you can post them!

Kato
Posted 2022-11-29 8:51 PM (#625969 - in reply to #625966)

Thanks! I believe about 44,000 sedans were made in '56, but I'm wondering how many of them came this devoid of options, and how many of those would have survived this long. I'm not expecting exact numbers by any stretch, just wondering if this strikes anyone else as being uncommon at this point.
56D500boy
Posted 2022-11-29 9:28 PM (#625971 - in reply to #625962)

Expert 5K+

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Not all the 56s were two or three tone (but it was popular)

Here are some images from a 56 Desoto brochure showing just a single stainless steel trim strip.

REFERENCE: http://oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/DeSoto/1956_DeSoto/1956_DeSoto...
Powerflite
Posted 2022-11-29 9:34 PM (#625972 - in reply to #625962)
Subject: Re: Unusual Survivor?

Expert 5K+

As Mike stated, no one knows the answer to your questions. But, in general, a manual transmission in a DeSoto is quite rare, but less rare in 1956 or earlier. People gradually warmed up to the idea of an automatic transmission. It's also somewhat rare to have a V8 mated up to a manual transmission in any car. The lack of a 2-tone isn't as rare as it may seem today. Many of those plain-jane cars just weren't appreciated as much and didn't survive as long as the better looking 2-tone cars. But you can be guaranteed that the frugal person that purchased your car wasn't impressed by modern gadgets and wanted to keep the driving experience real. Most people today couldn't conceive of driving a big DeSoto without power steering, or power brakes, let alone without A/C. We're total wimps in comparison.
Kato
Posted 2022-11-29 9:45 PM (#625973 - in reply to #625972)

Thanks so much, that's kind of what I was thinking - they probably made a decent number of cars to these specs, but I expect they're significantly more rare today than the more highly optioned versions. Personally, this car is optioned exactly as I would have selected (although I do think the two-tone body paint is sharp), which is why I bought it. The steering is surprisingly light by my standards, although I've barely had the chance to drive the car yet, as I'm still waking it up from having been parked for half a decade. The brakes, on the other hand, require extreme amounts of pedal compared to my other manual brakes cars of the era -- I'm wondering if the linings on the shoes have a glaze or skin on them.
Fireflite56
Posted 2022-11-30 2:07 PM (#625997 - in reply to #625973)

Extreme Veteran

Hello and welcome to the forum and congrats on your 'new' '56!

I think you're spot on with the idea that while a number of cars may have come in that configuration, it's a fairly rare car today due to many getting used up over the years. The manual transmission isn't very common in the '56 DeSoto (Fireflites were all standard with the Powerflite automatic), as is the sweep trim (or lack thereof) and paint combination you have. In '56, you could get four paint combinations: two-tone with a sweep, two-tone without a sweep (like it sounds like your car is), monotone with (see the red Firedome in the ad above), or monotone without the sweep trim. The vast majority of the '56 DeSotos seem to have sweep trim, but the sedans were more likely to only have the single line of trim than a 2 door.

Related to your manual transmission, you will notice that your steering wheel should be different than most '56 DeSotos you'll see. There were three wheels available and one was specific to the manual transmission cars. It's actually off of an earlier DeSoto (1950ish?). The other two styles were found on the automatics, one being the deluxe two-tone wheel most cars have and one being a single-tone standard wheel found on some Firedome automatics.

Related to the production numbers discussed previously, those and other information can be found here: www.desoto.org/1956-2

I also highly recommend you consider joining the National DeSoto Club. It's a great group of people and resources, plus additional perks such as a bi-monthly magazine, a yearly calendar, tech advisors for each model year, free advertising, access to the club library, access to the car/membership roster for locating nearby members and parts cars, and of course the ability to participate in the annual conventions. You can easily join at www.desoto.org/membership

Lastly, I maintain the registry for all 1956 DeSotos for the club. Not only would I love to add yours to the list, but I also can decode your data plate (found on the firewall near the master cylinder) at no charge if you would like. You can email me at fireflite56@gmail.com

Here's my '56 for your perusing pleasure: http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=62897&...
JedRhule
Posted 2022-11-30 5:32 PM (#626004 - in reply to #625962)

Veteran

Welcome to the forum. As for the brakes, I recommend replacing everything: master cylinder, wheel cylinders, hoses, shoes and springs. Flush the lines and use silicone brake fluid for a long life of the hydraulic components.
56D500boy
Posted 2022-11-30 7:22 PM (#626013 - in reply to #626004)

Expert 5K+

JedRhule - 2022-11-30 2:32 PM
Welcome to the forum. As for the brakes, I recommend replacing everything: master cylinder, wheel cylinders, hoses, shoes and springs. Flush the lines and use silicone brake fluid for a long life of the hydraulic components.

Agree. If you don't have a Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your 56 Desoto, then you can down load the 56 Chrysler FSM for free from this website:

https://mymopar.com/service-manuals/

Here is a link to an eBay seller of 56 Chrysler (and Desoto) wheel cylinders and hoses:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142987275002?fits=Year%3A1956%7CMake%3AChry...

There are lots of single pot Master Cylinders out there for around $120. One example:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chrysler,1956,new+yorker,5.8l+35...

Here is a link to a set of Center plane/Total Contact brake shoes for one axle (front or rear)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312284286120?fits=Year%3A1956%7CMake%3AChry...

Kato
Posted 2022-11-30 9:54 PM (#626016 - in reply to #625997)

Thank you, Fireflite56, for all the information! I am not ready to commit to joining the club yet, as I haven't even really had a chance to drive it yet, but it seems likely that I will eventually. I would love to take you up on the data plate and I'll get that for you tomorrow!

Edited by Kato 2022-11-30 9:56 PM
Kato
Posted 2022-11-30 10:01 PM (#626017 - in reply to #626013)

56D500boy - 2022-11-30 7:22 PM

JedRhule - 2022-11-30 2:32 PM

Agree. If you don't have a Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your 56 Desoto, then you can down load the 56 Chrysler FSM for free from this website:

https://mymopar.com/service-manuals/

Here is a link to an eBay seller of 56 Chrysler (and Desoto) wheel cylinders and hoses:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142987275002?fits=Year%3A1956%7CMake%3AChry...

There are lots of single pot Master Cylinders out there for around $120. One example:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chrysler,1956,new+yorker,5.8l+35...

Here is a link to a set of Center plane/Total Contact brake shoes for one axle (front or rear)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312284286120?fits=Year%3A1956%7CMake%3AChry...

Thanks to both of you! I have already replaced the master cylinder (the one on it was half full of mud!!) and the upper flex hose from it. The lower hoses and wheel cylinders look like they've been replaced relatively recently, so I'll keep an eye on them but they might be okay, I usually have a several month period after getting an old car where I take it easy and do lots of inspections. My pedal is very high and firm, just required excessive force to slow the car, but that was before I worked on the system, hopefully it's somewhat better now.

Thanks to everyone for the support, I'm really impressed with this forum and how informative and helpful everyone is!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)