The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Dipping" your (speedometer) Wick. 56 Dodge Example
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2022-07-28 11:09 PM (#623263)
Subject: "Dipping" your (speedometer) Wick. 56 Dodge Example

Expert 5K+

Recently Dels56 and I were discussing lubrication of the speedometer. I knew about the "wick" being inside a screw-in adapter on the side of the speedometer head but I had never removed mine on my 56 Dodge.

Today, while sorting out the basement after a hot water tank leak (pin hole leak with the water shut off but over a 7 day period), I came across a spare 56 Dodge speedometer that I had purchased some time ago.

First thing I did was I removed the "wick" holder from the speedometer head. I don't know why but I was surprised to discover that the wick is a small round felt rod.

I then found my 3-in-one oil and found that about 5 drops thoroughly saturated the wick. I then reinstalled the wick in the wick holder and then the wick holder in the speedometer head. Easy peasy.

I went out the garage and reached up under the dash to remove the wick holder on my car's speedometer. It didn't want to come off by hand (like the holder on the spare speedometer did) so I will have another go tomorrow with a very stubby flat-bladed screw driver in the palm of my hand and, working blind, I remove the wick holder and oil the wick. I presume there will be a minor challenge working blind and getting the wick holder threads started in the speedometer head.

Some info and photos:

(55-56DodgeSpeedometer_Back_ShowingLubricationWickHolderInstalled.jpg)

(55-56DodgeSpeedometer_Back_ShowingLubricationWickHolderInstalled_CloseUp.jpg)

(55-56DodgeSpeedometer_Back_ShowingLubricationWickHolderRemovedButDry.jpg)

(55-56DodgeSpeedometer_Back_ShowingLubricationWickHolderRemovedAndWickOiled.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 55-56DodgeSpeedometer_Back_ShowingLubricationWickHolderInstalled.jpg (133KB - 90 downloads)
Attachments 55-56DodgeSpeedometer_Back_ShowingLubricationWickHolderInstalled_CloseUp.jpg (91KB - 81 downloads)
Attachments 55-56DodgeSpeedometer_Back_ShowingLubricationWickHolderRemovedButDry.jpg (102KB - 81 downloads)
Attachments 55-56DodgeSpeedometer_Back_ShowingLubricationWickHolderRemovedAndWickOiled.jpg (107KB - 82 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)