The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Carter AFB Carburetor Rebuild
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> The Exhaust Pipe - Modification & PerformanceMessage format

PolyJ
Posted 2022-05-18 10:01 PM (#621588)
Subject: Carter AFB Carburetor Rebuild

Veteran

I finished going through the two Carter AFBs that are going on my 390 stroker poly A-block build for the '56 Dodge coupe. I'm using a factory 1957 Fury V800 2x4 intake with a cross-ram setup via Offehauser cross-ram adapters. The carburetors are 4299S used on mid-60's HP B383 and RB413 and RB426. From a friend's work flowing different AFBs on his bench over the years, I know the 4299S flows 537 cfm. It took three cores to build these two since one core sat with water in it to where the accelerator pump well was badly pitted beyond use. They originally came with three-step metering rods, jets, and covers (a change Carter experimented with for better fuel economy) that I replaced with two-step rods/jets/covers. I leaned out the primary and secondary circuits for the dual-quad setup at 5,600' elevation, so I should be in a good range to begin tuning. I'm running orange rod springs to start the tuning. Once I get the Offy cross-ram adapters and linkage mocked up, I'll lock out one of the choke plates and setup the primary carburetor with a mechanical cable. I'm welding O2 sensors bungs into the exhaust to utilize a wideband meter for dialing in the primary and secondary circuits on the street and at 1/4 mile test and tune days once I get to that point.

I'm turning my attention to rebuilding the TorqueFlite push-button 727 while I wait for parts from my machinist for the engine.

Edited by PolyJ 2022-05-18 10:15 PM

(carb1_resized_poly318com.jpg)

(carb2_resized_poly318com.jpg)

(carb3_resized_poly318com.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments carb1_resized_poly318com.jpg (171KB - 121 downloads)
Attachments carb2_resized_poly318com.jpg (179KB - 116 downloads)
Attachments carb3_resized_poly318com.jpg (72KB - 116 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ev's62Chrysler
Posted 2022-05-22 5:58 PM (#621666 - in reply to #621588)
Subject: Re: Carter AFB Carburetor Rebuild

Veteran

Looks nice and clean. Did you replace the accelerator pump lever/screw/S-hook with new, and if so, does the pump actuate immediately when moving the throttle? Mine has a lot of slop in it. I bought only a new screw, and it has more slop than the original. Curious if the kit with all components is good and tight. Thanks.

PolyJ
Posted 2022-05-22 9:15 PM (#621668 - in reply to #621666)
Subject: Re: Carter AFB Carburetor Rebuild

Veteran

Ev's62Chrysler - 2022-05-22 3:58 PM Looks nice and clean. Did you replace the accelerator pump lever/screw/S-hook with new, and if so, does the pump actuate immediately when moving the throttle? Mine has a lot of slop in it. I bought only a new screw, and it has more slop than the original. Curious if the kit with all components is good and tight. Thanks.

Thanks. I reused the lever, screw, and "S" links since they weren't damaged/worn. The only thing I had to do was bend the linkage rod to properly set the accelerator pump plunger. If the new pivot screw you are using is too narrow, I'd go to the hardware store and see if an allen machine screw is close to where you can grind/file down the head daimeter to make it work. I get most of my AFB parts from Mike's Carburetor Parts, so you might call him to see if he can get you the correct parts: https://www.carburetor-parts.com/

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)