The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electrical nest
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

SlamminWagon
Posted 2022-05-11 10:33 AM (#621401)
Subject: Electrical nest

so trying to sort out the mess that is the electrical here on my 56 New Yorker, I've got a service manual so I have all the factory wiring diagrams. just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly before I dive in. A is the starter relay (or at least started life that way in my case), B is the horn relay, and C is the resistor for the coil? there's been upgrades including an alternator and electronic ignition so I get it won't be factory but I'm hoping to clean this up a little. Thanks.

Edited by SlamminWagon 2022-05-11 11:04 AM

(IMG_1168.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1168.JPG (241KB - 94 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Ray
Posted 2022-05-11 11:07 AM (#621403 - in reply to #621401)
Subject: RE: Electrical nest

Extreme Veteran

So what works or doesn't work ? Or do you just want to tidy things up ?

It looks a lot more confusing than it really is. Start slow and small and if necessary to replace a wire do only ONE wire at a time. 

With modifications done for other reasons they are not be in the OEM manual. I would draw out a simple wiring diagram for each extra item, they were put on there for a reason, or convert it back to stock. 

56D500boy
Posted 2022-05-11 11:27 AM (#621404 - in reply to #621401)

Expert 5K+

That is quite the "rat's nest" for sure but as Nathan (Powerflite) suggests, it probably isn't as bad as it looks.

I have investigated the 56 era Mopar horn relay and that might help you with "B":

This: http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=75311&...

Two images from that thread:

Edited by 56D500boy 2022-05-11 11:36 AM
SlamminWagon
Posted 2022-05-11 11:31 AM (#621405 - in reply to #621403)

well I'm mostly trying to tidy things up and make sure they're sorted correctly, when the previous owner switched out to an alternator and the new ignition I'm not sure how he exactly he configured it. sure the car starts and runs but is it charging? I dunno. literally just bought this car as a project 2 weeks ago and have driven it a total of 200 yards. lol just wanted to make sure I understand exactly what I'm looking at in terms of what the original intent was for those unmarked relays. for sure the modifications throw a monkey wrench in things. just from what I've traced so far it's a little goofy and when you find alot of melted insulation on wires it doesn't give you much confidence that it's right;)

Edited by SlamminWagon 2022-05-11 12:22 PM
Old Ray
Posted 2022-05-11 1:38 PM (#621406 - in reply to #621401)

Extreme Veteran

So, you could get a new wiring harness I guess (cloth covered original) but that wouldn't solve the extras. (or a aftermarket universal kit). That will set back driving it for awhile.

Maybe you should just drive it the way it is for now, ... it will tell you what needs fixing. 

I like to wire from scratch so just to show off and prove that I am not a robot:

(sedan del wiring small pix.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sedan del wiring small pix.jpg (125KB - 102 downloads)
SlamminWagon
Posted 2022-05-11 4:34 PM (#621407 - in reply to #621401)
Subject: Re: Electrical nest

eh you make a good point. I just don't want to catch fire going down the road I guess, maybe I'll just replace in kind the nasty looking stuff and bump up the wire gauge in a few spots just to help me sleep better. I'll eventually need to upgrade likely to a 3 wire alternator anyways as I start adding accessories and such but that's a topic for another time.
p.s. dang that's some wiring! looks great
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)