The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I don't care *IF* you do have LED taillight bulbs or not, turn them off
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2022-05-08 8:24 PM (#621347)
Subject: I don't care *IF* you do have LED taillight bulbs or not, turn them off

Expert 5K+

After a short trip to Seattle (Tues-Friday), I had to start the old girl (started fine). Then I turned on the Park lights so I could admire the taillights.

*WELL*, apparently I left the lights on (Friday to Sunday) and despite the fact the the taillights are LED and the front park lights (incandescent but low wattage).

The battery was totally flat. TOTALLY.

The jumper box didn't even work because (I presume) the flatness was too much for it.

I put the big (10 amp) charger on for about 20 minutes and I got the engine started (barely).

I left it idling (which with a generator = not charging) but it seemed fine.

*BUT* when I disconnected the battery charger, the engine died, i.e. there wasn't even enough juice stored in the battery to keep the ignition system happy.

I tried the jump box again and this time it worked. I left the car idling again with the jump box disconnected and went into the house for a minute.

Came back out and the engine had died (again).

BOTTOMLINE: Always ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure that lights are off when leaving the car unattended for days.

(I had wondered why the 0.75A Battery Tender Jr. was flashing red when I first went into the garage - it was telling me that it couldn't keep up with the draw from the lights).

DUH.

Edited by 56D500boy 2022-05-08 8:26 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
59Firedome
Posted 2022-05-08 11:26 PM (#621349 - in reply to #621347)
Subject: Re: I don't care *IF* you do have LED taillight bulbs or not, turn them off

I use a quick disconnect terminal for my battery for safety reasons, seen garage fires burn down several cars due to old wiring throwing a spark. Not worth the risk having battery power connected at all when parked overnight
56D500boy
Posted 2022-05-09 2:27 PM (#621356 - in reply to #621349)
Subject: Re: I don't care *IF* you do have LED taillight bulbs or not, turn them off

Expert 5K+

59Firedome - 2022-05-08 8:26 PM
I use a quick disconnect terminal for my battery for safety reasons, seen garage fires burn down several cars due to old wiring throwing a spark. Not worth the risk having battery power connected at all when parked overnight

I hear ya.

I *think* my wiring is in pretty good shape (based on all the wiring that I have discovered while working on the car over the last 6+ years) so I not that concerned about a fire.
I do have a green-top quick disconnect on the negative terminal of the battery and I used to use it (to save the battery charge).

HOWEVER, since I went to a Battery Tender Jr. I haven't used the quick disconnect unless I am working on something electrical on the car.

The battery seems to have recovered from being drawn flat. I had the 10 amp (max) charger on the battery yesterday (once I conceded defeat) for about 2 hrs.
When it got down to about a 2 amp charge rate (it started at about 4 amp), I took it off and re-attached the Battery Tender Jr - which immediately started flashing green
- indicating that the battery was almost fully charged.

When I checked the charging light about 2 hrs later, it was solid green, i.e. fully charged.

But I will consider using the quick disconnect again.

OR get smarter regarding turning off the lights, even when they are just PARK.

Edited by 56D500boy 2022-05-09 3:08 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)