The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cooling the Beast
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Heating, Cooling and Air ConditioningMessage format

NC Adventurer
Posted 2021-09-25 11:41 AM (#615345)
Subject: Cooling the Beast

Veteran

Good Morning Everyone,

Took the break in the temps as a sign that I needed to get back into the garage and complete the cooling system maintenance. I had the radiator and heater core boiled out and pressure checked, thankfully with great results - no leaks and everything checked perfectly.

The heater control valve was rebuilt by Mr Hudacek in Wisconsin and reinstalled. Not a job I relish ever doing again but its not as bad as I originally envisioned it would be.

The hoses and thermostat were replaced and a mix of anti-freeze water added.

Having a bit of experience with older cars I remembered it being somewhat of a bear at times to ensure that the the cooling/heating system was free of air. While the heat was beating us senseless in North Carolina, I discovered a neat device that eliminates all together. Amazon had the ABN Cooling funnel Filling System on sale for something like $20. The system consists of a large funnel with a stopper of sorts and several radiator cap adapters.

The point of the funnel is to make the funnel the highest point in the system. As you fill the cooling system (with the heat adjusted to Hot), the air in the system can be seen bubbling in the fluid in the funnel. Keeping the funnel full is a key element, as allowing it to completely drain cold introduce air back into the system. The car runs, the radiator fills, the thermostat opens and all you have to do is add the antifreeze and water into the funnel. A snap-on lid prevents the "eruptions" of fluid from spraying all over the place but I'd still recommend wearing safety glasses to prevent getting anti-freeze splashed in your eye. Its really doesn't get any easier. When the vehicle reaches operating temp and the system is full, you plug the funnel with the provided stopper and wait for the engine temp to drop before removing the radiator cap adapter. The stopper is on a "stick" and has "o" rings to prevent leaks while you're removing it from the engine bay.

Install the radiator cap and you're all set. The DeSoto runs nice and cool now, ready for some miles of enjoyable cruising.

Here's a link to what I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Coolant-Funnel-Radiator-Spill/dp/B07NGPK6...

Edited by NC Adventurer 2021-09-25 4:27 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)