The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1961 318 Poly Torqueflite Bell Housing to Engine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

minkos
Posted 2021-08-29 5:44 PM (#614597)
Subject: 1961 318 Poly Torqueflite Bell Housing to Engine

New User

Hello, I am getting ready to remove the 318 Poly out of my 61 Suburban, leaving the bell housing and trans in the car. The trans is a cast iron Torqueflite. I've removed the 8 nuts connecting the crank to the flywheel. Then I noticed this one bolt head inside the bell housing on the passenger side. Even if I could get it loose, the flywheel is blocking it from coming out. I looks like it's threaded through the bell housing to the engine, backwards from the other 5-6 bolts that hold the engine and bell housing together. I can see the other end of the bolt just on the other side of the engine block, next to the oil filter boss. I've attached pictures from inside the bell housing and from the engine side.

This looks like a one piece bell housing with no adapter plate. Is the bolt just an alignment pin as it goes through the block, or do I have to remove the transmission along with the engine just to get access to remove the transmission from the bell housing? If anyone else has encountered this situation on their pre '62 poly, I would appreciate any advice.

(InkedIMG_7300_LI - Copysm.JPG)

(InkedIMG_7290_LI - Copy sm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments InkedIMG_7300_LI - Copysm.JPG (70KB - 83 downloads)
Attachments InkedIMG_7290_LI - Copy sm.jpg (150KB - 87 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wayfarer
Posted 2021-08-29 7:15 PM (#614598 - in reply to #614597)
Subject: Re: 1961 318 Poly Torqueflite Bell Housing to Engine

Elite Veteran

Remove the engine with the bell and flywheel. Then drop the flywheel out the bottom of the bell and access the remaining bolt.
minkos
Posted 2021-09-06 6:45 PM (#614800 - in reply to #614597)
Subject: Re: 1961 318 Poly Torqueflite Bell Housing to Engine

New User

That worked, thank you. I’m pretty sure this engine had never been out of the car before. I wonder why they put the one bolt inside the bell housing at the factory? It made for a much more difficult removal process. Those 4 bolts connecting the bell housing to the trans were quite difficult to get to with the car on the ground.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)