The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Front clutch pack set-up instructions clarification desperately needed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

jaded13640
Posted 2020-10-28 5:08 PM (#604996)
Subject: Front clutch pack set-up instructions clarification desperately needed

Veteran

I'm reading the instructions for setting up the proper amount of amount of clearance in the front clutch pack. Our internet is down at the moment so I'm not at my computer where I could pull up and place page number 400 (on paper, the pdf file page number would be 401). But, on page 400, it says, at instruction number 9, "install the rear clutch pressure plate on top of the front clutch pack." Then it goes on to say,

"Holding this plate firmly in position, insert a feeler gauge between the plate and the top disk in the assembly.

That last sentence is what I need to talk about. If you set the plate on top of the top disk, and hold firmly, there would ZERO CLEARANCE!

On the later 727 you check the clearance by holding the pressure plate firmly over the top disk and WITH SNAPRING INSTALLED, and then insert a feeler gauge between the pressure plate and snap ring to measure the amount of clearance. I hope that's what they meant because the wording of the instruction number 9 will always result in zero clearance.

Could someone who's done this before please reply with the correct way to do it?

I keep running into things that have me at a stand still until someone on this forum replies and bails me out.

I'm extremely frustrated!

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wizard
Posted 2020-10-29 7:57 AM (#605019 - in reply to #604996)
Subject: Re: Front clutch pack set-up instructions clarification desperately needed

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

The manual is not correct. Just do it as the 727.
jaded13640
Posted 2020-10-29 3:53 PM (#605030 - in reply to #604996)
Subject: RE: Front clutch pack set-up instructions clarification desperately needed

Veteran

Thanks Wizard, I knew it had to be wrong. But read to the end of that page, which is the end of the clutches section. It also doesn't ever tell me how much clearance should be in the rear clutch. It says to put the "rear drum's pressure plate back in the rear drum and put the snap ring in" but it never bothered to go back and finish the rear clutch. It doesn't say how much clearance it's supposed to have or how to check it. So I'll check it like a 727 but I don't know what clearance to go by.

What amount would you use?

The 65 Plymouth manual for the 727 says to use .018" - .036" clearance in the front and .026" - .054" rear.

I peeked into the 57 Plymouth manual and it's the same, word for word. The same mistake is there, the same omission of clearance numbers for the rear clutch.
I'm curious if the Chrysler manual makes the same mistake...but I don't have them downloaded.

The parts I ordered for it from FATSCO Transmission included a wide variety of frictions thicknesses so I get the impression that clearance settings are pretty critical.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Wayne

Edited by jaded13640 2020-10-29 3:57 PM
wizard
Posted 2020-10-29 5:36 PM (#605037 - in reply to #604996)
Subject: Re: Front clutch pack set-up instructions clarification desperately needed

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

The front clutch shall have a clearance between .020" to .040". This is the most critical setting, if the clearance is too small, the transmission might drive in Neutral when the parts reached operation temperature.

The rear clutch clearance isn't specified, but the clearance should be ok using the .026" to .054".
Normally, the clearance is always on the loose side in the rear clutch.

More important is that there are different pistons for the rear clutch; for four disks and for 5 discs.
jaded13640
Posted 2020-10-29 7:12 PM (#605038 - in reply to #604996)
Subject: RE: Front clutch pack set-up instructions clarification desperately needed

Veteran

Yea, that's kind of what I was thinking about the rear clutch, that it was typically looser than the front. That number strikes me as rather tight...but I'll go with that. I'll probably try to keep it on the high side of that range, like at least .050".

As always, I really appreciate your guys' help,

Wayne
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)